1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kerry Collins or Vince Young ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 4, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Other tidbits from Vince Young "victories"

of the 17 games the Titans have won with Young starting, he's averaged 148 yards per game and almost double the interceptions (17) as touchdown passes (9). He has four games with less than 100 yards passing and only three games with more than 200 yards. And apparently he's not trending upwards in his second year, because his interceptions are up and TD passes down over his rookie year.

Right now, he's a bad NFL QB. He might get better. Hell, it took Garrard five years to become decent. But rarely is Vince Young "winning" games. He's fortunate to have that defense, those special teams, and good running game and Jeff Fisher. The Titans are working around his many faults. Wonder how long that experiment will last.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, since they have a lot more invested in him than the Jags have in Garrard...a long time.

and again: What is a QB judged on, more than anything else? Wins. They. Are. In. The. Playoffs. Anyone think they would have gone 10-6 w/Kerry Collins?

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Uh, I said Collins was awful. Right now, the Titans don't have a viable playoff QB. Again, Young is capable of having a big game. But, overall, he and Collins both stink.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, Kerry Collins did start a Super Bowl once, and since the measure that counts is wins....

But, of course, he doesn't quite belong in among the great ones such as Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson and Jeff Hostetler, right? They won Super Bowls. Dan Marino never won one, so I guess he wasn't as good as any of those guys.

Of course, I'm being silly there. But as bad as Young has been this season, it is just as silly to say he did a good job just because the Titans are in the playoffs.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If you can go 10-6 with Vince Young, you can go 10-6 with my grandmother.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Lost in all of this ... the Titans haven't scored many points all season, anyway.

They've won with the best defensive line in football and a solid overall defense. The Scaife and Williams losses hurt, for sure, but it's not like the Titans were going score 40 points with those guys. Where it hurts them the most if third down, where Scaife was usually the only person Vince threw to.

The Titans absolutely MUST draft and/or sign some top-notch wideouts this offseason. With better receivers, they could challenge for the AFC title. The defense is that good ... especially up front. They'll franchise Haynesworth next year, I bet, to free up money to go find some wideouts.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

In fact, Kerry Collins quarterbacked the Giants to the Super Bowl and the Panthers to the NFC Championship Game in the second season in franchise history. He has more career TDs than interceptions, had a 4,000-yard season in 2002, three other seasons of more than 3,500 yards and another with 3,495. As recently as 2005, he passed for 3,759 yards with 20 TDs and 12 interceptions. Not saying he's Marino, but he's not the horrendous stiff some apparently think he is. He's a decent NFL QB and has been for years. And he just turned 35, BTW.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So did Kerry Collins who overall had a better college career than Young .

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Collins has played for five different teams. Five.

Trust me, five different coaches saw something that they did not like.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, it would be four coaches -- he hasn't been cut by Tennessee (yet).

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They just stuck him on the bench.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Maybe the worst 10-6 team ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted