1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kerry Collins or Vince Young ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 4, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And I'll bet the shaking sets in about 35 minutes after you say your goodbyes.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is a stunning stat - total TD's thrown by Titan QB's in 2007 - 9 - all by Vince Young.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

you give me way too much credit, retroactive virgin.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In case you haven't noticed, they play better football on Sundays than on Saturdays. And Young still isn't an NFL quarterback. At some point in his career, he's going to have to start winning games, rather than not lose them. To tell you the truth, he's downright awful most of the time and the Titans won't win every game 13-10. At some point, they'll need the QB to put the team on his shoulders, and Young ain't that guy.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Two years into his career and they're in the playoffs.

Vince's record as a starter: 17-11.

Yeah he's raw and he may never be great. But to let your prejudices get the best of you is stupid.

It's even dumber for Hondo to say they'll never win with him than it was last year, when he called him a Sam Bowie-sized bust halfway thru the season.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll remember that for next time.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I wouldn't trade for either one of them. You said winning the Rose Bowl would help him on Sunday. I said bullshit.
    Vince Young has had success in the NFL? When? He is a career 57% passer with 21 td's and 30 interceptions.

Chris Weinke threw for over 2900 yards in his rookie year. A number that Vince Young hasn't attained in two years.

Young may be a talent but a success? Not yet.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's taken a team with no discernible offensive weapons (unless you count roly-poly LenDale White as a weapon, which I don't, unless I'm at a buffet) to the playoffs in his first full year as a starter.

Yes, they have a good defense, great special teams and a great coach (the best in the NFL, if you ask me, but no one did). But he deserves some credit. And yes, he's a success. He's in the playoffs.

He's certainly nowhere near a bust yet.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This thread has made a no-interest game for me at least something worth watching. WTG.

And
    This is Boom stirring things up and working out his Rhoden issue again.
    Pass.
    is damn funny, Fenian. Win.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And I'll repeat: there will come a time when Vince Young will have to win games. One of those 17 victories as a starter was a game against the Jaguars when he threw for 87 yards, but the Titans defense took three turnovers back for TDs in a 24-17 victory. If David Garrard doesn't play the worst game of his life then, Vince goes down 17-3. I'm sure they are a lot more examples when the defense, running game and special teams won the game for Tenn., and Vince was just along for the ride.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Rex Grossman has a winning record as a starter, too, BYH. Young had a great second half in his rookie year. He absolutely sucked this year. Not sure which is the real Vince Young. He didn't take his team to the playoffs this year. His team got there in spite of him.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. You can't just judge a quarterback on his team's record. There are just too many other factors in play.

Was Ben Roethlisberger a great quarterback when the Steelers were 15-1 with him starting, including the playoffs, in '04? Or was he a rookie doing a decent job but mostly along for the ride on a good team? Pittsburgh is 10-5 in his starts this season and very likely to fall to 10-6 tomorrow, but he is a dramatically better quarterback now than he was as a rookie.

Draft saved Draft deleted