1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keown's Maddux feature in The Mag

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silentbob, Apr 14, 2008.

1. silentbob

silentbob Member

My apologies if this has been discussed:

Anyone read Tim Keown's feature on Greg Maddux in the April 21 edition of The Magazine (Darren McFadden cover)? IN short, it's very well reported and written, but the following passage bothered me:

"Maddux has spent his adult life in the eternal childhood of the big league clubhouse. There's no other place on earth quite like it. One morning this spring in Peoria, Ariz., he sat at his corner locker with a plate of bacon and eggs on his lap, talking about pitching. He was running some sort of low-stakes golf pool out of the corner of his eye, passing out papers and collecting money without turning his head. At one point, in midsentence and without warning, he winced like a man about to pass a stone, lifted his left cheek off the chair and let loose. "Whoa, wow, sorry about that," he said, then continued with the eggs and the discussion and the golf pool. So add that to the Maddux scouting report: bats right, throws right, farts left."

Now let me just say: I normally consider nothing out of bounds, but I think this is in poor taste. Yes, a farting perfectionist such as Maddux creates a bizarre image. But seriously ... farting? Are there people out there who don't think men do such things in this exact described manner? If I'm not mistaken, another ESPN writer (maybe it was Keown) pissed off the Giles brothers last year for including their childish clubhouse behavior. In the end, this is an access issue. Writers have hardly any these days so they pretty much are left with the clubhouse, therefore they use whatever they can get. But I think you have to show some restraint.

Or am I overreacting?

2. aschaefe

aschaefe New Member

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Mag is written for kids who think all references to farting are funny.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I found nothing wrong with that passage. I lift my right cheek, though.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We may need a poll.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't disagree.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's fine to me. It points out, pretty vividly, that Maddux has indeed spent his adult life in the romper room.

I don't think anyone would argue otherwise.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I didn't see the problem ... and thank goodness I wasn't there to smell the problem.

Tim Keown's style is engaging enough for that excerpt to add a little color to the story. Additionally, it helps let readers know that while Greg Maddux takes baseball and wearing the uniform very seriously, he's not without humor and perspective. In summary, what BYH said.

Let it stay. Much ado about nothing.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The "scouting report" line was a little too obvious for me. The reference was OK in the flow of the story, but I'd let the reader catch it and move on.

It was a good story though; Maddux's intuitions for the game are amazing.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Maybe Tim Keown should write from his mother's basement in his pajamas rather than do something with, you know, that access.

And you're more upset with him presenting Maddux as a farter than as a bookie.

11. silentbob

silentbob Member

Dont misunderstand, Keown's one of the best.

But I think if you're going to construct a scene, you should probably show the reader something more than a fart. I'm still not sure what that says about Greg Maddux, because if you've ever been in any locker room or clubhouse, on any level, this happens every 5 minutes. .. If the story was about what a jokester Maddux is, it works. If the story is about what a control freak Maddux is, it works. If the story is about what a leader Maddux is, it works. But when the story's about Greg Maddux, the pitching genius who tries to play stupid, I'm not sure what a scene that shows Maddux farting accomplishes. And I'm not sure it's fair to Maddux. I'd hate to go into an interview and have a player or coach think: "If I fart, cough, belch, sneeze or heaven forbid, have a booger hanging from my nose, it might turn up in the newspaper." ... Perhaps it's just me, but when I read that passage, I felt Keown included that just so he could use his witty line .... "bats right, throws right, farts left."
    Regardless, if you havent read it, do so. It's great.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no. this hasn't been discussed. thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted