1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky's Amish say they can't drive ... 25!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This is exactly why Syracuse University always has a disadvantage recruiting Amish basketball players.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

ROFL.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I too grew up near an Amish community, and ever since have been convinced it's all a big gimmick.

"Oh, everybody, look at us! Look at our stupid hats and ugly dresses and dumb buggies! Be sure to bring a checkbook when you're forking over for our cinnamon rolls and expensive furniture, though. Laugh all you want as we ride our dumb buggies to the bank."

Maybe I'll start riding a horse everywhere and try to convince people it makes my writing more authentic.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Just a reminder, the Electirc Amish are funnier and don't confuse the Mennonites with the Amish

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've seen some outlets putting the mugshots up on the Web. Let's make Jews and Muslims eat pork, and take a picture of that as well.

Putting the mugshots on the Web serves no journalistic purpose and is used to make fun of the Amish. Even Fox News got into the act.

http://nation.foxnews.com/amish/2011/09/15/8-awesome-amish-mugshots

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Here's an even better edict for the Amish: if you don't pay taxes to pave that road, get the hell off it. Build your own. Where in the Bible does it say "Thou shalt freeload off the beardless electricity consumers", exactly?

I grew up around several amish and Mennonite communities and I got sick of having horseshit smeared into my tires on a weekly basis. They'd show up at our house and ask to use our phone, had no problems borrowing rides in cars (Oh, so that's why you guys don't have these things...you just don't want to pay the phone bill and for gas!) and drank more Mountain Dew on a daily basis than a 13-year old kid at a birthday pizza party.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Amish don't pay taxes? That's a new one.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

An Amish community has sprung up here in recent years. The one north of my town has been OK with the triangles on the buggies because they realize that the main road to town is very dangerous. It's narrow and with several hills. Also there's only one way to get to Walmart and Tractor Supply, so they have to use the main highway to get there. One in Missouri has been fighting the proposed closure of a post office because the next-nearest one would be 40 miles away. "For you, that's a half-hour trip. From our houses, it's most of a day."

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

How many Amish people do you see buying gas at a gas station, paying for license fees and registration fees?

All those build our roads.

While a certain level of freeloading is built into our system, when you refuse to put the regulated signs on your buggy AND freeload on our highways, there's a problem.

I applaud the counties that require Amish families to buy license plates for their buggies.

Draft saved Draft deleted