1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Sweet Sixteen Pick 'Em

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Mar 14, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I take it you don't like Mr. Salsman? :D

And you're taking UHA over Mason?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Never met him, but I've known Randy McCoy (UHA's coach) for many years.

Yes. For the same reason.

3. KYSportsWriter

Ah. Thought you had a disdain for Salsman.

4. The best boys basketball tournament in the country, now that Indiana and Illinois have classified themselves to death.

Although I do have a problem with a team losing in the postseason and not being eliminated from the tournament.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Only true in the district championship games. After that, once you lose you can send your kids to baseball/softball/track/tennis practice.

6. KYSportsWriter

Eight teams make it to the region tourney.

No one has complained in the 90709709 or so years the KHSAA has been doing it, and no one will start. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

7. rube

rube Active Member

It is broke ... there is absolutely no reason for a random draw in that region tournament. Half the time you have what should be the "real" championship game in the first round, while in some regions you'll have some terrible team from the hills get a free pass to the finals.
    It's not as flawless as you're presenting it.

8. KYSportsWriter

Then what would you suggest doing? Seeding the damn thing? Classifying the state?

9. rube

rube Active Member

Seed the region tourneys. That's not classifying anything. You seed the region tourney's by record ... it wouldn't be perfect, but it'd be a hell of a lot better than randomly drawing and having two 20 plus win teams going at it in the 1st round and a .500 team advancing in another game.
    Kentucky is far too small of a state to be classified ... it's actually one of the only states where this one-tourney format still can work ... and don't get me wrong, I like it. But some changes need to be made.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I agree, best tournament in the country. If it ever changes, it's a freaking shame.

Now, here's who I've got:

Lexington Catholic over UHA. God rid of one of the two private schools, Kentucky fans rejoice.

Owensboro over Central. Central's Cinderella run ends here.

Paintsville over Jeffersontown. I've seen Paintsville play, and they play HARD. I'm not a fan of the mountain teams for the most part, but these guys are good. Bye-bye city team.

Holmes over Bardstown. Bardstown is lucky to be there.

Hazard over South Laurel. Hazard can outshoot the Cardinals, who are young.

Lincoln over Shelby County. Veteran Lincoln team back for the second straight season. Terrific back court.
    And IJAG, you sort-of team is a bunch of punk asses. Sorry.

Tilghman over Greenwood. Just bcause.

Mason County over Elliott County. I hate Mason County with the passion fo a thousand white hot suns, but they are damn good. They should cruise into the finals in the lower bracket.

I have Mason vs. Catholic in the finals, and Catholic cutting down the nets.

11. rube

rube Active Member

Don't get me wrong ... I'm not disagreeing with you that it's one of the most unique and probably entertaining prep tourneys in the country. And I don't think it needs to be totally overhauled or anything ... just tweaked slightly with a regional seeding process.
    I know how Kentuckyites hate them some change ... but it really wouldn't be that big of a deal.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Illinois fucked up their damn-near perfect tournament by switching from two to four classes... so if any Kentucky puke is talking about changing it, shove his head up a horse's ass until he stops talking about it.. or stops breathing.

Draft saved Draft deleted