1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky sports editor/writer -- Cincinnati Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 14, 2013.

  1. https://performancemanager4.successfactors.com/portalcareer?career_ns=job_listing&company=Gannett&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=14123&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=MisjMskbvigj0xQxJ7HGPy7ylI4%3d

    Post updates multiple times a day, embed Cover It Live module for game updates with Twittefeed, post photos and video. This will be for an array of NKY teams - high schools, area colleges including NKU, Thomas More, UK, U of L; Florence Freedom, horse racing, KY Speedway. Emphasis on high schools and colleges. Post links to other media such as AP and Courier-Journal. Post engagement tools like polls and ProConIt. Ensure we have photos/faces of NKY athletes.
    Create a NKY sports/Enquirer Twitter account and tweet multiple times a day. Create a NKY sports/Enquirer Facebook page and post all stories there. Engage with readers daily, with back-and-forth conversation. Ensure we have photos/faces of NKY athletes.

    Print product: Take the lead on the 5-day/week Kentucky page in the Sports section. Repurpose content from digital updates. Publish as features and notebooks in print. Include digital refers and invitations to connect via social media. Ensure we have photos/faces.
    Community engagement, including speaking and other public forums: Be the face of Northern Kentucky sports in the community. Attend the highest profile games and make sure people know you’re there. Do at least one speaking engagements a month. Do at least one TV/radio interview a month and make sure you are clearly promoted as the Enquirer’s Northern Kentucky sports authority.
    Coverage/beat/assignment: Cover the most important games so you put your name on the highest-interest, highest-profile stories and are seen at those places. About 40% of your time will be spent on game advances and coverage. The other 60% will be producing notebooks, features and short analysis for digital and print. Identify other games for preps sports editor to give to freelancers.

    Anyone have any info on this one?
     
  2. vols1998

    vols1998 New Member

    Like, when do you get to go home? UK, U of L, preps, running down results from River Downs or Turfway half the day, ensure they have photos/faces, ensure we have photos/faces -- sounds like an HR-generated ad from someone who needs to lay off the caffeine, lay off the caffeine.
    " 40% of your time will be spent on game advances and coverage. The other 60% will be producing notebooks, features and short analysis for digital and print. Identify other games for preps sports editor to give to freelancers."
    Which leaves, ummmmmm, by my calculations, 0% of your time for yourself.
     
  3. deskslave

    deskslave Active Member

    "Make sure you are clearly promoted ..."

    In other words, get others to do exactly the kind of PR crap that we're meant to resist doing.
     
  4. LesJ9488

    LesJ9488 Member

    From what I was told, this has already been filled.
     
  5. playthrough

    playthrough Moderator Staff Member

    "Attend the highest profile games and make sure people know you’re there."

    And how would you like us to do this? Stand on the press table and wave to the crowd? Sing the national anthem?
     
  6. Paid time?
     
  7. It was posted on the Gannett website a couple of days ago, so I was just passing it along.
     
  8. LesJ9488

    LesJ9488 Member

    Yeah. Appreciate it. It was essentially filled internally, and I think the posting was more of a procedural function. I was curious about the position and made the appropriate calls this morning.
     
  9. slappy4428

    slappy4428 Active Member

    What jobs would we find without you....
     
  10. Just trying to help people out.
     
  11. Mizzougrad96

    Mizzougrad96 Active Member

    They made a hire (and a damn good one at that...) a few weeks ago for GA/Reds... Not sure if it was the same job.
     
  12. steveu

    steveu Well-Known Member

    Apparently this is filled. Richard Skinner, late of the Cincy Post and a sports-talk veteran in the Cincinnati area, took the gig.

    I'd say it's a good hire. Although... uh, Gannett? Next time, if you've already filled the position, don't put the damn ad on your corporate website. It makes you look foolish.

    Otherwise, welcome aboard to Richard!
     
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page