1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky plane crash (headline changed per Moddy) ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Not doubting the lack of rest at all. I think the crew on my 5:30am flight arrived in town at around 10pm the night before. So yep, they're expected to make pretty quick turnarounds on very little sleep. Ahh, the nomad's life of a puddle-jumpin' shit-shakin' flight crew.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The short runway is being blamed for the crash, right?

Why did the plane crash a mile away then?

If it was airborne, I'm unclear what the runway has to do with it at that point.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Because the pilot used the short runway, he didn't have enough takeoff velocity for sustained flight. And the plane's impact point was less than a half-mile from takeoff, according to the newspaper graphics.

Here's a shot from the end of the short runway; the plane didn't get that far.

[​IMG]

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

In addition, the tress behind the fence were cropped by the wings.

There was no safety area on the short runway, so the pilots -- once they recognized what was happened -- apparently had one terrifying choice: to try to get the plane up as best and as quickly as they could.

Had they tried to stop, the same result would have occurred. They were going too fast.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Should fuel tanks be releasable?

And/or can fuel be flash frozen?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'd want to fly on any plane with releaseable fuel tanks.

I would like to know why the plane caught fire so quickly and why nobody was able to get out of the emergency exits though. It seems to me that there should have been some time to get out before the plane was engulfed.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

At the speed it was going, impact is guaranteed to be an instant fireball. Even more so, if the plane was all fueled up for a full day of flying.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

According to the Lexington Herald-Leader the coroner is now saying most of the victims died on impact, not in the fire.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

How fast would a small jet be going at takeoff speed, at the end of a runway?

Even more amazing is that there was no safety area. Holy shit. I know it's a small airport, but c'mon.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

CNN story today reported the plane's top speed before the crash was 158mph

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, 158 mph probably is DOA.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Gotta remember, that runway is supposed to be used by small aircraft, not larger jets -- so the berm and fence are probably appropriate safety measures for such vessels.

Draft saved Draft deleted