1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky plane crash (headline changed per Moddy) ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Michael,

Haha. Crews are morning people?

These guys probably came in late the night before, caught a few hours of sleep at a crashpad, and were back at it the next morning. ... It's criminal the way some of those regional airlines push crews around.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Was a report on CNN earlier saying that the crew checked into the hotel about 10 p.m. Saturday.

Since crews get to the airport an hour or two before their flight, that doesn't lead for much time to relax and recharge, especially if you (gasp) would like to enjoy a cocktail before snoozing.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hank,

That is the Lexington airport. It's a smaller airport. Louisville (about an hour and a half) and Cincinnati (about the same) are larger airports, and cheaper too.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There are a lot of unanswered questions here. The black boxes are going to shed a lot of light on this one.

5. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Yes, LEX is not a big airport.

However, Lexington is major center for the horse trade. It's common, esp. during the Fasig-Tipton sale and Keeneland seasons, to see jumbo jets from the middle east sitting in the airport's staging area on the NW end of the property. The airport has the appropriate technology and facilities to handle things like that. It's not a po-dunk place.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Isn't the horse business why they built the airport across the street from Keeneland?

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ah, my Keeneland.

And now, there will always be a twinge of sadness and anguish whenever I go there.

RIP to all those lost.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Blue Grass is Lexington's commercial airport. I've flown in and out of there several times over the years myself, it's a regional airport, not some rinky-dink one-runway operation. I simply can't fathom how something like that could happen. This isn't mechanical failure, it's human error on a massive, massive scale.

BTW, if you were watching the coverage yesterday and noticed what looked like a football stadium to the north of the airport in the overhead of the airport, that's actually Keeneland Racetrack.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, it basically is a one-runway operation. This one he used isn't for most planes.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

By one-runway operation I mean a single stretch of concrete, no taxiways and a couple buildings. BGA isn't that.

11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Last "small airport" early morning flight I was on (earlier this month), I got to the airport about 45 minutes pre-flight. After dropping me off, my cab driver was heading to pick up the crew.

RIP to all those involved.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fly, I stand corrected. Still, cutting it rather close with giving the guys a good amount of rest.

Draft saved Draft deleted