1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky plane crash (headline changed per Moddy) ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

There's a rumor circulating on another site I visit. Apparently, either one or both of the runways have been repaved recently. Not sure if all the markings were correctly replaced.

2. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I saw where one of those killed was a former Kentucky baseball player, who was leaving on his honeymoon after getting married yesterday.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The main runway was repaved. I don't think anything major was done to the shorter one, the one he allegedly took off from.

I've been getting updates from friends and family all day while I've been driving. Scary shit. I'm trying to find a list of passengers.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

All the runways at the airport were repaved just a few weeks ago. The airport was closed to all flights and just reopened Aug. 20.

And yeah, a newly-married couple is among the 49 dead. :(

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Streaming coverage from the Lexington NBC station:

http://www.wlextv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4827296

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

More than that, I *love* flying really early (and I am the furthest from a morning person.) It's the only time I fly, if I can help it.

Sucks, sucks, sucks.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

From AP:

Newlyweds Jon Hooker, 27, of London, Ky., and Scarlett Parsley were also aboard. they had just been married Saturday night and were leaving on their honeymoon, said Hooker's former baseball coach at the University of Kentucky.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So we've established that Tubby wasn't on the plane?

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Remember when Grady Little left Pedro Martinez in that game?

10. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

A couple points I wanted to make here ... as a former Lexington resident and someone who has flown in there like 100 times in my life.

*RIP to Betty Young, who was an important member of my wife's family and a cool person.

*We (my family) used to fly into LEX in a Cessna often. We never used that runway. I mean, nobody used it. It's short, it's not lit and it doesn't look like a legit runway. I'll say that LEX is slightly confusing on the N end because the runways don't look totally disparate. They're joined by huge spans of concrete (ie aren't separated by grass like usual) so I can see maybe how it's possible that a pilot could head for the wrong runway. Not a seasoned pilot, though. I can't understand that part of it. I mean, it was a calm morning. Why would you use a cross-wind runway? Makes no sense to me.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

First, Paseana, sorry to hear you lost someone in the crash.

As far as the runways go, I've never flown into LEX, but I would think that a Comair captain had flown into there about 50 times in the past month. If you know the difference, surely he would know the difference on the runways. It will be interesting to see a transcript of the CVR.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

As someone who has never flown into LEX, a quick question:

Is this the only airport that services the Lexington area? Or is there a larger one that the bigger jets come into?

Draft saved Draft deleted