1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky-Notre Dame gamer from AP ... um, what?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CitizenTino, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They caught the last train for the coast.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

There's also no law against your own desk editing the AP copy before it gets into print.

Desk folks are always screaming 10 seconds after the game is over for AP copy, and then you are shocked, SHOCKED, when there are typos in it???!!!

Note: I do not and have never worked for a wire service.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I spent three years working and watching Jenna Fryer work. She busted her ass, every day.

Doesn't mean I can't wish for the days when AP desks would catch an affect/effect error.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Judgment Day.

5. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I won't say what comment merits this, but one does: "Wow, you are totally full of shit."

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I was gonna say it. I'm glad someone did.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It would have been funny for a sportswriter to follow up with a religious line of questioning.

"Coach, so the only judgment you are concerned with is from the Almighty. How concerned are you? Think He is going to hold the two waitresses in the Holiday Inn pool against you, for example?"

"BCG: That story is totally false. I don't know where people get that stuff. They were hostesses. Not waitresses. And it was a Hyatt. ... Holiday Inn. Right."

"But overall, you feel like you are pleasing God with your actions?"

"BCG: I know I am pleasing the priests. They draw straws to hear my confession. Sometimes I show them video from my cell phone camera. Those bastards love that stuff. ... So, yeah, I think I'm good with God. It's that damn goody-two-shoes Barnhart that's screwin' with me."

8. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

That's what I thought it was, as well.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with the writer asking Gillespie what he's referring to. They say even if a reporter hears his or her mother say "I love you" that he or she is supposed to get two sources to confirm that. I wouldn't have a problem trying to be ABSOLUTELY sure of a reference.

I think it's hilarious that the writer made the leap he did. I sweated out a leap I made in a chamber of commerce story last year ... until I got a letter from the CEO of the chamber praising that same story.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Billy G was quite the known cocksman around College Station. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I hope he was checking IDs, at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted