1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky-Notre Dame gamer from AP ... um, what?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CitizenTino, Mar 26, 2009.

1. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Nobody called the guy a moron. His assertion that Gillespie was talking about the being judged by the All Mighty Mitch Barnhart was pretty moronic --- but that doesn't mean he is one.
    We've all written idiotic things in our life, that doesn't mean we're idiots. There's a distinction.

Either way though, since when did we start using busy days (and we all have them, not just the AP writer in Indiana) to excuse foolish mistakes? Is that the explanation we give our readers? Our bosses? That our kid had hockey practice?

I'm sure he's a terrific guy. I just don't get why you're so incredulous about this thread. He wrote an AP game story where he confused Kentucky's athletic director with God. That seems thread-worthy for this particular board doesn't it?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Piggybacking on Waylon's sentiments, it has been my experience that those on the copy desk tend to have a very poor opinion of AP, while writers who sit alongside the AP folks in press boxes, and know how much they have to do, have nothing but respect.

3. Fair enough. I just wanted to present the other side - that 99.9999 percent of the time, Tom is a workhorse and a good guy to boot. I think sometimes we all look at AP like the rest of the world looks at celebrities - not as real flesh-and-blood people.

4. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

I hear ya. I've known some AP guys in the past and they busted their ass - as I'm sure Tom does.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'll second this. There are desk people who are responsible for catching this stuff. No one's perfect, but at times like this you're apt to think it was sent without anyone reading it.

6. We only cover Tom when he screws up.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Well played, good sir.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It's Gillispie. Gillispie. Gillispie.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

As I said ...

Now I can change the ending.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For one, Billy G doesn't seem to be a real religious sort, unless you count hedonism as a religion.

11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

In Arkansas, up until last year, the almighty would have been Frank Broyles. And everyone would have understood that as being so.

12. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

My bad. I've had a long day. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted