1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky kicking the extra point

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Blue_Water, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Exactly. Now it's probably a good question to ask on the Sunday teleconference or Monday. I'm sure all the Kentucky papers are going to have more to say on that game as the week goes on.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I believe the overall conversion rate in Division I for PAT kicks is about 95 percent.

Of the 5 percent failures, almost all are blocks -- my bet is the number of missed PATs is less than one percent.

Returning the blocked kick for a defensive conversion has to be astronomically rare -- I can never remember seeing one myself, and they've had the rule for 10 years now, and I've watched probably 20 college games per season. I have seen a couple on botched 2-point conversion attempts, but never on a blocked kick.

3. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

Not a question I'd be thrilled to ask, but in my mind a decision that deserves questioning. If I'm writing one game story, that's obviously not the big story. But if my paper has six stories going in about the win, I might want to hear what the coach had to say about that. If Louisville does score, you just blew the biggest win in the last 10 years because you made a decision that's basically impossible to defend.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Theoretically, if you're up by four and take a knee and the opposing team scores a touchdown on the kickoff (and kicks the extra point), then you can tie with a field goal.

If you had kicked the PAT, you could win with a field goal.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That is true also.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I think the question is a fair one, but I'd ask it later in the week -- not in the immediate aftermath of such a big win.

Had it cost Kentucky a victory, then you go with it right away.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This, of course, is the Bizarro World playcall and then the perfect storm of worst even remotely theoretically possible outcome of the play. A flat pass/screen pass is the only possible play you could call which would have even an infinitesmal chance of resulting in defeat.

If you are up by 4-5, there is some logic in going for 2, but none whatsoever in throwing a pass. In such a situation, your only play is a HANDOFF (not a toss, not a pitch) to a running back, or probably better still, a QB keeper.

If you score, woohoo, you're up by 6-7 and at least a little safer if they pull off a miracle touchdown. If you don't score, you're still up by 4-5 and a FG can't beat you.

If you have some insane psychotic compulsion to pass, throw the ball over the middle, deep to the end of the end zone. If they pick it off there, they have to run through all 11 players on your team to bring it back for the TD. If they pick off the flat pass, they have open sailing to the end zone.

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Another thing to consider is that this game ended around midnight. I imagine the presser was pretty short given the fact that almost everyone there would have been in a big-time deadline crunch.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I've talked to a few Kentucky fans since Saturday, and ALL of them said they thought that ridiculous, ridiculous, ridiculous decision was going to cost them the game. It certainly would have been another hilarious chapter in the history of a hilarious football program.

11. chester

chester Member

Actually, the Kentucky kicker missed one in the first half.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

I thought it was point after, not extra point.

Draft saved Draft deleted