1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky gets basketball commitment -- from eighth grader.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, May 9, 2008.

1. rube

rube Active Member

Who says he'll even make the McDonald's team? He's 13-years-old for christ's sake.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Lake Sherwood, huh? Where the median price of a home is north of $2 million.

I'm doubting he'll end up at Crespi, an all-boys Catholic school which is 20 minutes down the 101 in Encino. It's a good school academically, but it's not exactly a basketball factory.

Regardless, this is a sickening precedent.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Never said he would make the team.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So you think he'll just come to watch it?

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

There is precedent:
    Taylor King. Before he entered Mater Dei committed to UCLA. Went to Duke. Didn't like it there and is searching for someone else that will cater to every whim.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

How can they possibly know if he's a D I talent yet? Is this the equivalent of the NBA drafting someone after playing only high school ball?

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'll send your question along to Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and Kevin Garnett.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The quotes from the kid's dad are even better.

Said something along the lines of kid can shoot better than anyone on UCLA's team.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I didn't mean that it was guaranteed to be a failure, just a higher risk. By that same token send my question to Jonathan Bender, Darius Miles and Kwame Brown.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Considering it's Kentucky, I'm sure the kid is already academically qualified.

11. rube

rube Active Member

This kid's dad is the reason why high school sports can be a ridiculous joke at times. Every time I see or hear of a guy like this I want to puke.
    Let the goddamn kids play and enjoy themselves and keep your own personal failed dreams out of it for fuck's sake.

12. rube

rube Active Member

Oh and by the way, I think old Billy G or Billy Clyde -- or whatever the hell Kentucky fans call him -- should stop being a predator to middle schoolers and worry about some other pressing issues ...

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=410349

Draft saved Draft deleted