1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky fans upset with Jerry Tipton

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, May 9, 2008.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Other than having just lost its coach, playing in a much lesser conference and having about 1/1000th the prestige of Kentucky (and all the perks that come with it), yes. Western Kentucky is a better basketball school.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Other than Rick Pitino stopping by, been pretty irrelevant for 30 years.

3. If it wasn't for Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, the Yankees wouldn't have been shit in the 1920s and '30s!

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I know. Just havin' fun.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gotta love the SEC... Usually this kind of behavior is reserved for football season, but after all, this is Lexington.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So for those who don't know could you please say the name just one more time.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The site won't let you. But it begins with "Wen" and ends with "alway"

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought Analway was the official style for the name that can't be mentioned?

Anyway, umm, no I won't post unedited audio interviews to the web. The recorder could still be on during background or something else. Plus, paper policy is to delete recordings two weeks after publication and if they were on the interweb, they stay around forever.

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I'd release the tapes. I'd post them myself if needed. If part of the conversations were off the record, as sometimes they are: I'd run a note to explain it and then blank out the off-the-record portions.

That's as fair as you can be to all parties.

If one of my sources doesn't have a problem being quoted in the paper but does have a problem hearing his/her voice on audio, I'd be surprised.

My broad point is that newspapers are all about shining a spotlight on others to set the record straight. But we are much less aggressive with our own.

It smacks of hypocrisy and readers know it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I disagree and what does it prove? It would be extremely simple to delete any controversial line of questioning.

You have a relationship with these people and posting private interviews in full online would seem to violate that.

11. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

There's no need to publish the tapes.

Bottom line: A reporter can ask a recruit's parents anything he damn well wants to ask. Readers don't determine the questions we ask interview subjects. Not even the subjects should get to do that. No paper should be apologizing for the questions it asks. I've posted entire audio interviews before, mainly when I thought I couldn't get enough quotes into print. But you can't put a harness on reporters out trying to gather news by making the very tones of their questions subject to public approval.

I think the Herald-Leader went as far as it needed to go.

I believe it was the C-J's Brett Dawson who, at UK coach Billy Gillispie's introductory press conference, asked the coach and university president questions about Gillispie's two arrests on suspicion of DUI. He got scathing email for weeks after that.

Some of the bloggers who are criticizing Tipton are official representatives of UK's athletic interests, and it is they, not Tipton, who have perfected the art of asking leading questions to recruits.

This whole thing is simply proof that a segment of this fan base gets more of a charge about feeling "wronged" than anything else. It's laughable. All these people claiming they'll never read Tipton again are hilarious. They can't stop. They thrive on any perceived slight they can find.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Holy Crap! Tipton shaved his mustache!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted