1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky fans upset with Jerry Tipton

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, May 9, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It appears on of the posters making a comment is a certain "********!"

Hey, I can't even say his name!

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Are some people still under the impression that fans want journalists covering their teams?

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Only if they bring a "positive attitude."

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He's been popping up on more comment boards lately. It must be a cycle, like the cicadas

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Boy, for all those commenters who "don't read that paper because it's not positive" sure know a hell of a lot about the story he wrote.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I've read some funny things in my life on teh interweb. But I'm not sure anything will ever approach ...

written by a guy who created his own forum and has 4,000 of the 4,117 posts there.

7. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Ah, Kentuckians.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Fans... ::)

However, I do agree on one point.

The paper should post the audio of the interviews.

We post audio/video links of everything these days.

And we would demand full disclosure from others, particularly public figures, in similar situations.

Post the audio and let the masses make up their minds.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

As someone who tries to keep up with the general goings-on at Kentucky, I think this all started with a guy named Marc Maggard, who is a blogger/recruiting guy or whatever. And apparently (paraphrasing here), Maggard wrote that parents of these recruits had told him that Tipton was asking about whether they had considered Gillispie's off-court behavior (i.e, rumors of drinking, womanizing, etc.). Obviously, the Herald-Leader is denying that after reviewing tapes of the interviews or notes or whatever. But if that is true, I do think it would be questionable at best to go down that road with a recruit or his parents. It certainly can give the impression you are "recruiting against" the school you cover, which would be just as bad as recruiting for the school you cover.

I like Jerry, and he's fabulous at many aspects of beat writing, but he does do some stuff that I've wondered about. I remember earlier this year, he wrote several days worth of long, very detailed stories about how Gillispie kicked off a end-of-the-bench walk on who had won a spot on the team during an open tryout. It seemed to me like overkill, and the way he wrote the stories definitely made it seem as though he was trying to paint Gillispie as a really bad guy.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Would you want your paper releasing uncut your phone interviews with sources? When you spoke to them, do you think sources will cooperate in the future if they think every word they utter will go online?

What if you were off the record part of the time? Do you put that on the web, too? And if you lop that off, what's the point of posting it in the first place?

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I have a question. Isn't Western Kentucky a better basketball school?

Draft saved Draft deleted