1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby/Kentucky Oaks Boxes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ben_Hecht, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Anyone here who has interest, or who knows someone who may have interest, message me. Have access to
    multiple locations in multiple price ranges from an established, reliable source. Boxes seat six.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ooooh goddamn. That might be worth some vacation days.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No can do this year, but the Derby is on my list of must-do events.

I also need advice on who the two of you like.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've gotten to watch the Derby from the cheap seats and Millionaire's Row at Churchill. Pretty damn sweet.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My brother has already given me homework to figure out who I like before his next phone call. So I'll start delving into that this weekend, probably.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My chance was 2004 (Smarty Jones). Someone I know who goes every year (20+ years straight) had an emergency cancellation from his group (a group of guys who go together every year) and asked me last minute. I just had to book the flight. They were waiting at the airport for me; hotel and tickets to Oaks and Derby taken care of.

GREAT time. I still have my $2 win ticket and my commemorative mint julip glasses.

Odd memory: One year, the guy I went with said OJ Simpson was on his flight to the Derby. He said, he saw OJ get on the plane. The seat next to him was open and he watched OJ walk toward him wondering if he was going to sit next to him. But OJ kept going and sat next to someone else.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Watched that Derby on TV -- in Louisville. Once the rains came and they sealed the track, Smarty. Was. Going. To. Win. That. Race. One of the five most predictable results of the last half-century . . . glad you had a good time, and hope you didn't get soaked like so many folks did.

8. KYSportsWriter

I worked the Derby each year from 2000-2003 -- my high school band used it as a fundraiser each year. I got to listen to the broadcast of the 2000 Derby from one of Churchill's parking lots, and got to watch the race inside the last few times I was there.

Saw tons of drunk people and got to rub elbows with some celebrities. It was a lot of fun.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The greatest peoplewatching on Earth.

10. KYSportsWriter

Indeed.

That's what me and a few of my friends would do on our lunch breaks -- find a spot near the paddock and peoplewatch.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Grandstand people watching = strong.
    Clubhouse people watching = amazing.
    Infield people watching = bizarroland.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ben, is this a one-off deal? No way I can this time, but can start saving pennies for 2013.

Draft saved Draft deleted