1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby handicapping (and post-race discussion) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: Kentucky Derby handicapping thread

It was the definition of a good trip.

You could see in the aerial shot that if those four horses don't bump each other on the turn ahead of Street Sense, the rail isn't wide open and Street Sense doesn't have any opening to exploit.

Usually, that's how Derby's are won.

2. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

NBC redeemed itself to a degree with the aerial shot, but I thought the network could have done a much better job showing the surge from 19th to first. Shouldn't there be a camera focused on every horse just in case, or is that unrealistic.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Outstanding race by Borel. I'm glad he finally won one.

7 Street Sense 11.80 6.40 4.60
    8 Hard Spun 9.80 7.00
    2 Curlin 5.60

$2 Exacta (7-8) Paid $101.80
    $2 Trifecta (7-8-2) Paid $440.00
    $2 Superfecta (7-8-2-5) Paid $29,046.40
    $2 Daily Double (7-7) Paid $87.00 Daily Double Pool
    $2 Daily Double (OAKS/DERBY 11-7) Paid $23.80 Daily Double Pool
    $2 Pick 3 (7-7-7) 3 Correct Paid $927.60 Pick 3 Pool
    $2 Pick 4 (3-7-7-7) 4 Correct Paid $4,783.40 Pick 4 Pool
    $2 Pick 6 (7-7-3-7-7-7) 5 Correct Paid $1,263.00 Pick 6 Pool
    $2 Pick 6 (7-7-3-7-7-7) 6 Correct Paid $231,225.40 Pick 6 Pool
    $2 Future Wager (POOL 1 - 22) Paid $22.80
    $2 Future Wager (POOL 2 - 20) Paid $18.20
    $2 Future Wager (POOL 3 - 20) Paid $15.40

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

That's a terrific ride by Borel. He exercised great patience, a hole opened just when he needed it and at the top of the stretch it was obvious he was on the best horse. A good job by all the connections. I hope the Queen had a winning ticket.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

When they interviewed Borel in the winner's circle and he went through the race, they had a solo camera on Street Sense all the way, including the awesome shot from above that showed exactly what he did and how he picked off 18 horses 1-by-1.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's about as well as a jockey can ride a horse, so congratulations to Street Sense, Boral, et. al.
    The Tiago-Scat exacta didn't turn as well as could be hoped.
    1. Didn't you wish NBC shot to the Queen after the race, and she's tearing up a fistful of tickets?
    2. Tom Hammonds may be the first human to die of a Botox overdose on the air.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Those payouts aren't bad.

I had the superfecta, but I blew the winnings in advance betting that the Queen would shotgun a bottle of Maker's Mark, rip off her dress to reveal a Slint (gratuitous Louisville reference) T-shirt, simulate oral sex on Churchill Downs impresario John Asher, crowd surf the infield and head to the Outlook Inn to pound some Falls City's.

She didn't do any of that.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

But Bubbler, she may have WANTED to. Her fault for bringing the hubby along.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am just now watching my tape of the Derby. Was anyone else annoyed at all of the celeb interviews given out by NBC?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow. What a race. So the winner goes from 18th to first and "Wild and Crazy Guy" goes from 19th to fourth. Pretty good stuff. A very well ran race by Street Sense.

My only bitterness from the race was not hearing the announcer say, "And down the stretch they come." Of course, it would have helped if I would have remembered to tape it in HD so the sound wasn't so shitty.

Can Street Sense win the Triple Crown?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That was ALMOST as good a trip as Gato Del Sol. They isolated him, too, 'way back when . . . that was the greatest miracle Derby trip I've ever seen. This was second.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Gato was a bum who got lucky. Street Sense has been the best of his generation since age 2.

Draft saved Draft deleted