1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby handicapping (and post-race discussion) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Re: Kentucky Derby handicapping thread

I'm serious about Mike Smith. One of the winningest jockeys of all time. Won it aboard Giacomo 2 years ago. Not sure if he's mounting a horse Saturday, but I'd put serious $$ on him if he were.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Knowing the Derby, do not put your money on the favorites. A long shot has come out of nowhere for a couple years running now.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Last three Derby winners have come out of Oaklawn, so I'd start there.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you are from The Bluegrass State.

Outside the state lines, horseracing has fallen farther than tennis or boxing as far as a national audience is concerned. It was once a proud sport, like boxing, but for some reason it is slipping out of the spotlight.

Sorry if I brought that up rather bluntly, but do you see a lot of traffic on this thread or any other racing-related threads?

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Are there any horses that Todd Pletcher ISN'T training? (Scat Daddy, Circular Quay, Anygivensaturday, Cowtown Cat)

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Haven't taken a serious look at the PPs, but I won't be backing Hard Spun, not after that workout the other day. If that's what the trainer wanted, he's nuts. If this horse is first to the wire, it'll be the first time they get there with still another mile to go.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Curlin absolutely bombed the field there in the Arkansas Derby. He's the presumptive ML favorite.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That doesn't change the fact that you clicked on a thread about horse racing specifically to rip the sport. You know what that makes you? A troll.

Launch your own thread about how much horse racing has fallen off the national scene. This one is reserved for people to discuss who they like to win in the Kentucky Derby.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Point taken

That said, I have always heard the Derby is the worst horse racing bet you can make. Such a big field makes it a very tough race to handicap.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That's true.

And I'd argue your earlier point. Horse racing is a very niche market. It circles back around nationwide for about two months every spring. But it's not a national sport for 10 months of the year.

That being said, let me do some research and I'll get back on here.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the other hand, in horse racing the bigger the fields the better chance you can win some real money.

The Derby field is so large, though, that it affects how the race is run and makes pure racing luck a bigger component than usual.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Anyone know of any sites to get good info and SCOOPS! on the horses? I'm trying to do my research on them, but any good comprehensive sites would be helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted