1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Crash, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Here's the draw...

1 Lookin At Lucky Garrett Gomez 126 3-1
    2 Ice Box Jose Lezcano 126 10-1
    3 Noble's Promise Willie Martinez 126 12-1
    4 Super Saver Calvin Borel 126 15-1
    5 Line of David Rafael Bejarano 126 30-1
    6 Stately Victor Alan Garcia 126 30-1
    7 American Lion David Flores 126 30-1
    8 Dean's Kitten Robby Albarado 126 50-1
    9 Make Music For Me Joel Rosario 126 50-1
    10 Paddy O'Prado Kent Desormeaux 126 20-1
    11 Devil May Care John Velazquez 121 10-1
    12 Conveyance Martin Garcia 126 12-1
    13 Jackson Bend Mike Smith 126 15-1
    14 Mission Impazible Rajiv Maragh 126 20-1
    15 Discreetly Mine Javier Castellano 126 30-1
    16 Awesome Act Julien Leparoux 126 10-1
    17 Dublin Terry Thompson 126 12-1
    18 Backtalk Miguel Mena 126 50-1
    19 Homeboykris Ramon Dominguez 126 50-1
    20 Sidney's Candy Joe Talamo 126 5-1

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown2010/news/story?id=5142848

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wow, the top two favorites draw the rail and the outside position. That ain't good, for them.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Churchill did remarkably well with some Friday-night dates under the lights in '09. Don't blame them for looking to explore it, further. Don't hold your breath, waiting for a prime-time Derby, however.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was totally set to go long Sidney's Candy until I just saw that draw. On to Plan B.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Indeed, awful breaks for the favored Californians. Had Ferdinand from the #1 when he paid 17-1 in the mid-80s, but Shoemaker needed to work out the trip of the year to get that done. Reluctant to take 7-2 or so to find out with LAL.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

If horse racing really wants to put the final nail in its coffin, go ahead an move the Derby to a Saturday night, where it will get absolutely lost and overlooked by the general public and casual sports fan.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That seems like an awful lot of double-digit odds horses.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In a well-balanced, 20-horse field in which both favorites have been screwed in the post draw, you'll get 17 horses who'll pay $22+ if they win. Curious
    to see what Awesome Act goes off at . . . over/under 10-1 . . .

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Skeptics would say it is overlooked by the general public now.

Right now post time is, what, 5:45 p.m. or so, eastern? What's so awful in moving it back 2:15 to 8 p.m.? Wouldn't even be dark then, for the traditionalists. But it could get on prime time, which to some people is synonymous with relevance, for better or worse.

I love the ponies and just think they need to keep thinking of outside-the-box measures besides putting slots in the lobby.

Edit: post time is 6:24 p.m. ET. Not too far from prime time already.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love the Derby, but I would lose some amount of interest if it moved to night time. don't know why, just would. Doesn't seem right to go to the races in the night. My days at Keeneland were spent shielding my eyes, fanning myself, and sipping beers. That's how it should be!

As always, I'll drop $5 to show on the 8 horse (Robby Albarado up). I haven't figured anything else out yet.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Derby is a late afternoon, cocktail-hour event for us East Coasters. I like it where it is.

Anyway, it's wide open and crowded, so I think I'm going to box a triple with Ice Box (2), Super Saver (4) and Dublin (17) and see what happens.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted