1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Crash, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Crash

Crash Active Member

The Kentucky Derby Festival officially started this week with Thunder Over Louisville, but the big news in horse racing circles is that Eskendereya, the opening-line favorite, will be sold as part of owner Ahmed Zayat's Chapter 11 proceedings.

The Derby is less than two weeks away. Does SJ nation care?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's a small but passionate section of SJ railbirds.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I always try to get down to one of the local tracks before the race to put some money down. Always come up one horse short.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Planning on going to Keeneland for the festivities there if I don't have any games to cover. Might actually put some cash down while I'm there. And then, if my luck from Saturday's day at the track carries over, my horse will come in dead last.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Esky sale doesn't mean much, in broad scheme of things. All it
    does is make it overwhelmingly-likely that he'll be whisked to stud in 2011 . . . which makes me doubt that Jess Jackson will be the buyer.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Love the Derby, haven't paid much if any attention this year. Not sure I can name two Derby horses.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The field appears kind of ... meh ... this year. Plus I think the Rachel Alexandra/Zenyatta/Apple Blossom thing distracted everybody for a few weeks.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Eskendereya won the Wood by about 10 lengths and John Velazquez never took out the whip.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Won his last two by 17+ lengths so he'll be the favorite, no question about that. Doesn't matter to me how the new ownership works out. I'm only concerned trying to figure out how he's going to get a mile and a quarter on May 1.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Real question is whether he'll still be in training this year as of, say, 7/31.
    I'll say no.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Where's the Breeder's Cup this year?

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I think it's Churchill Downs.

Draft saved Draft deleted