1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'd offer up General Quarters as a value pick, but I fear my fellow locals will drive down his value because of the sentiment toward the owner/trainer.

Spnited, I'd agree there's been less national buzz about the Derby, but I think that's due to the lack of one big stud horse. There are probably 5-8 legit contenders this year.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Horse racing might not outlast newspapers.
    There was a story last week that the Breeders' Cup could be pulled from Santa Anita this fall because some guarantees are not being met and the bankruptcy filing of its ownership.
    Hollywood Park opened Wednesday with about 4,000 in attendance, and only about 7,000 showed up Saturday. That track already was ticketed for closure for a retail and residential area, but, oddly, because of the economy, it's more feasible right now to keep it as a race track.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Seth Wickersham had an excellent piece in the last ESPN the Mag on horse track vets and the process involved when horses come up lame and have to be put down. Really a good read.

I don't know Seth at all, but he's pretty much a must-read any time I see his byline. The man can write a story.

4. HA!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You're one of like four people on this board who would get that. Glad it didn't go un-noticed or un-appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

As a national sport, I'd agree with you. It's still doing well in pockets of the country.

Heck, Maryland has been considering drastic action just to keep Pimlico and its track open.

I'm not saying this will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Preakness run elsewhere in less than 10 years.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

According to both the Form and the Blood-Horse, Quality Road is OUT.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

From time to time. Appreciably better with females of any age than with colts, though. Funny how that works out.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yup, trainer announced it this morning, Ben

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was actually thinking about starting this thread yesterday, but hadn't looked up a list of jockeys for the race (you know I always toss a little cash on Albarado's horse if he's in it).

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2009/racing-information/contenders

That chart of course says I have to put at least $5 on Flying Private. I haven't thought much past that, but I plan on immersing myself on one of my days off. I saw something that said five of the last six Derbys have been won by first-timers, so maybe Pletcher WILL get his. :)

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Second the props on the Wickersham ESPN Mag piece. And I really hope that has nothing to do with the Triple Crown races this year.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Scratch Square Eddie from the race (injury). Having finished in the money in seven of eight lifetime starts, he would have attracted a fair amount of interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.