1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Saw this at my old haunt's site and all it did was remind me the Derby is Saturday. Damn.
    I cannot name one Derby contender. Is it just me or does no one give a shit anymore?

I did OK on Big Brown in the Derby last year. Someone give me a winner. Not Quality Road, thanks.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/equestrian/polo_horse_racing_rodeo/article/QUALITYROAD_20090427-094804/264223/

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'll let you know, Moddy. I may head out to the local track Saturday for an afternoon of horses and fun.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Not exciting but I'm planning to box an exacta on I Want Revenge and Dunkirk.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Dunkirk is likely your race-time favorite, but with only three lifetime starts and none in the six weeks leading up to the Derby, I see him as far from a sure thing.

I don't know if Summer Bird is going to make the field, but if it does, there's your stretch-runner that'll be passing lots of horses in the final furlong.

I like Frankie Dettori in a big race and a couple of my tickets are sure to include Desert Party.

Good luck to all.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dunkirk sounds like a good Derby-winning name.

6. cranberry

Odd route, to be sure, but I have to believe Pletcher knows what he's doing.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There's a contender named Summer Bird? Well then....that's my horse!

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pletcher is 0-for-21 in the Derby, isn't he?

9. cranberry

Something like that. Got his first Triple Crown race in the '07 Belmont with Rags to Riches.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Still 0-for-Triple Crown with non-fillies.

11. cranberry

The guy's horses have won a few Grade 1 races and earned a little money, though.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Has there ever been less buzz about the Derby than this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.