1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 138

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 1, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, I've also never met or talked to the guy. Just seen him on TV at the big-boy events. :)

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

In my limited experience, the worst asshole in horse racing would be by far the best person in most sports.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, so give me a good owner to throw $5 on for the next race. And I don't want some guy who is always there with a trophy wife and the announcers will be kissing their ass because they are there every year and due for a win.

Saturday morning I was taking Lil 93 to soccer and I saw a buddy up the street who told me he was hitting the OTB to place a bet. I gave him five to put on the seven horse for me. After he gave me the slip, he says it was pretty shrewd going with a longshot next to favorite. Running next to a strong horse might motivate the horse to do well.

I told him my daughter was born on the seventh.

4. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

That's the same logic I used to put a c-note on the 26 horse. Ah, shit.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Devil, do you want an owner or a trainer? Big difference.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just give me someone to feel good about if they win.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's a good read. TAP knows courtesy counts, and you'd be hard-pressed to recall a public blowup. He's got a lot on his mind, being MOTU, and he's quite the pleasant communicator if you catch him when things aren't 110% hectic.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Almost all of the really successful ones mellow, with time. Whittingham was hell on skates for decades, but after Ferdinand and Sunday Silence, he was quite approachable. An exception? Frank Whiteley (Ruffian) . . . think Bobby Knight.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Thank you. Even better played by the horse itself. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted