1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 138

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 1, 2012.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Looks like there will be a full field of 20 racing on a fast track; the latest weather forecast calls for no more than a 20 percent chance of rain on any of the four days leading up to race day.

If you're the kind of person who can't get enough Kentucky Derby, then satellite radio will be your best friend on Saturday. Sirrius has seven hours of pre-race programming.

Good luck to one and all.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

For me the question is who to pair with Gemologist for an exacta bet.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I like Bodemeister. That's all I've got right now, though I'm about to scour the internet to find the field with all their pertinent info to send to my brother. So that will help.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Bodemeister, Take Charge Indy and Hansen are the other three I'm considering. I'll wait to see how the draw plays out tomorrow.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

From the Daily Racing Form:

http://www.drf.com/events/kentucky-derby-top-20-churchill-downs

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll use this to make my annual complaint that 20 is too many and it is a disaster waiting to happen. Cut it to 14. Or 12.
    And let's go Virginia bred. Whichever one that is - I can't remember

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Moddy, you're right. Every year, I cringe as they head down the first stretch as I anticipate a 10-horse pileup. On the most-watched race of the year, that would decimate the racing industry.

I'm wheeling Bodemeister with a few. I just think he's at least a length better than the rest. But if he's in PP 18, I might change my mind.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'm in the 20-is-too-many camp, too. I'd be happy with 12 or 13.

9. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

You might want to read this if you think the racing industry is not already decimated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/us/death-and-disarray-at-americas-racetracks.html?ref=sports

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/03/24/us/for-horse-and-jockey-risks-vary.html

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who said I didn't? Horse racing has been in a slow spiral for years.

Horses and jocks getting hurt and dying isn't anything new. But a 10-horse heap on national TV would be. (And that graphic in the second link should note which tracks run thoroughbreds and which run quarter horses.)

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As long as there's an honest pace to stretch the field out, the 20 really isn't that big of an issue.

When there's no early field extension (see: 1999, among others), it gets interesting, but it hasn't been an issue, since.

12. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

True it is nothing new and you would think Barbaro's accident and death would have cleaned up the industry (that brought more attention to horse racing than anything in recent memory). It seems to be getting worse, unfortunately, and I love horse racing.

Draft saved Draft deleted