1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 137

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 3, 2011.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Stewards have been notified by Graham Motion that Albarado is off Animal Kingdom "due to injury", John V on.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

He took a spill earlier this week, didn't he?

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Yeah, he got tossed before the third race on Wednesday and broke his nose. Barry Irwin said that because he's not riding today, they don't feel comfortable riding him tomorrow. Good for John V, who has had some lousy luck in recent years with good Derby mounts not making the race, especially Eskendereya last year.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Casual racing fan question: Does another horse join the field, or do they just run with 19?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No also-eligibles in the Derby, once the entry box closes. Betting began Thursday.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

With NYC OTB shut down, I had to bet online, which I've never done before. I don't like not having the tickets in hand. With that said, I went with Stay Thirsty to win, Stay Thirsty and Dialed In for an exacta box and then added Midnight Interlude for a triple box.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Nehro
    Dialed In
    Midnight Interlude
    Twice the Appeal (don't ask)

Haven't even thought about how to play it yet.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think you're making a mistake if you leave ArchArchArch out of your exotics. He's in a bad draw, but I think he'll still come running late.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'd like to go on the record in agreement with this. He won't win, but he'll hit the board.

10. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I know, I know. Everybody is in love with Archarcharch. If I'm going to get burned, I won't mind if it's a good guy like Jinks Fires who does it. You can't bet everybody in this crazy-ass jigsaw puzzle from hell.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Arch cubed has a fantastic back story and I wouldn't be surprised if he did well. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he won.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would. Layden had a great stat yesterday. Last horse to win from the rail when there was a full field (of at least 17 horses) was War Admiral in 1937. Now, there were some shitty horses down there, but that's a long streak for a reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted