1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky beat writer, Louisville Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Creig Ewing, May 10, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

He never big-timed me and let me tell you, I'm a prime candidate to be big-timed.

2. I just spent 20 minutes trying to find this story to see the lede. Care to share now that you've piqued my curiosity?

3. SellOut

SellOut Member

Exhibit A of what you're walking into:

http://bit.ly/kpNz3Y

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does Tipton still do a year-round Sunday hoops column?

5. Yes, Tipton still does a near-year round hoops notebook. Most of the time it approaches 50 inches.

One thing to note, Chip Cosby recently left the H-L UK football beat. Competing against Cosby and Tipton, who had 30+ combined experience on the beat alone, was tough.

It's a good job, but going up against the H-L's resources is difficult.

6. ILoveSports0610

ILoveSports0610 New Member

When is the deadline for applying?

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Do you know where Chip went, Upstate? Just wondering ....

Always a stand-up guy from my experiences ....

8. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

Chip went to CN2, a state-wide cable TV news program in Louisville. He's going to sports editor there, I think.

9. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

If I follow this thread correctly, one of these guys was at the Louisville paper and the other was at the Lexington paper and they both are departing the beat.

This should be fun for job search fodder since both papers will get applications from the same prospective beat writers and you know the "I've always aspired to cover Kentucky and SEC football for (name of paper)" will be in their cover letters.

So one paper decides you're not good enough for them and the other hires you. Or perhaps someone gets a call to interview at BOTH places.

Just imagine all the good gossip in bluegrass sports media circles.

10. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

The Herald-Leader is not going to replace Chip on the UK football beat. Having just gone through another round of layoffs, they are going to cover the beat with the staff already in place. Meaning, they will do more with less or stop covering something else they were previously covering. Sign of the times.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Kentucky has a football team?

You must be a real Joker......

12. spankys

spankys Member

bump. this has been up for about 2 weeks. any movement here yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted