1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky beat writer, Louisville Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Creig Ewing, May 10, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, the Gantt thing. Never mind. I've had a long couple days and slept three hours last night. I'm stupid. :D

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I've averaged about two or three hours of sleep since those sons of bitches told me to walk the plank a week ago Monday, IJAG, so imagine how freakin' stupid I feel right now.

One night I went to the Gregg Allman concert and I mighta gotten four.

I was a dangerous man the next day. So I went to Jazz Fest .... only logical thing to do.

There will be fierce comp for this job, incidentally .... good luck to all in the hunt.

3. imjustagirl

Jesus, ... Jesus? I had no idea. So sorry. But yeah, this is a big boy job. Brett did a great job (then again, I'm biased).

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually surprised it hasn't started already. There's content sharing in South Florida (McClatchy-Tribune-Cox) and SoCal (Riverside, OC, LANG).

5. SellOut

SellOut Member

It's a great job and will get you well on your way to the next gig if you excel at it. (Believe Forde is among those who have graduated from this beat).
    BUT...
    the basketball season will be a nightmare. The basketball coach and the sports info guy could give a rats ass about the local media. So enjoy culling stuff from CoachCal.com, Twitter or his Lexy feed when he doesn't feel like answering any sort of question that doesn't fit his agenda.
    Oh, and if you don't play ball, they will freeze you out. Heard Jerry Tipton of the Herald-Leader wasn't invited to a postseason roundtable by Cal simply b/c SID doesn't like him. And even if they do like you, don't expect to be fed anything. Cal saves that for his boys at ESPN and SportingNews.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

WFW.

7. I don't know if this is entirely true. I've had friends who covered Cal at previous stops, and he was great to them. Maybe it's different now that he's at UK, but I just know he has previously been helpful to some local reporters.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

As far as pure reporting and managing a beat, Tipton is one of the best, isn't he? Why would they burn that bridge? Not only is Tipton respected by his readers, the basketball community in general respects him.

9. Brett Dawson

Brett Dawson New Member

This is a heck of a job, but the guy who's been doing it the last five years was a worthless hack.

Still, he's willing to answer your questions about the gig if you have 'em. Feel free to PM me.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tipton is a legend.

I know one board regular feels otherwise, but he's a great guy too...

That said the UK beat at the C-J has produced some great writers over the years...

11. imjustagirl

[quo
    Different strokes for different folks. Apparently he never big-timed you. But how could he? YOU'RE MIZZOU!

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It probably didn't hurt that I told him that his lede from the Villanova-Georgetown championship game was probably my favorite of all-time.

Draft saved Draft deleted