1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky beat writer, Louisville Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Creig Ewing, May 10, 2011.

1. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

Want to cover SEC football and the winningest program in college basketball?

The Courier-Journal in Louisville has an opening for a Kentucky beat reporter.

We’re looking for someone with experience covering a major-college program.

Someone comfortable with the internet and accustomed to filing web updates, tweets, videos and daily blogs, in addition to print stories.

Someone who wants to go beyond the game stories and player features and deal with graduation rates, athletic department finances and other off-the-field issues.

Experience with in-depth reporting and features is essential.

It’s a tough, high-visibility job, but if college sports is your passion, it could be a great job for you.

Send resume, clips and references to:

Sports Editor Harry Bryan, 525 West Broadway, Louisville, Ky. 40202

or

hbryan@courier-journal.com

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Wow. Sounds like a good position. Maybe it's time to touch up the resume...

3. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

I believe that the SportsJournalists.com parlance would be that it's a big boy job.

You can hit me with questions, though. I am the ASE in Louisville.

4. Wow. Big-time job there.

5. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Great job. Great bosses. Great opportunity to take over a franchise beat. Good luck Harry and Creig -- and, yeah, people, make sure you spell his name correctly -- sorting through the incoming mountain of clips. Wise to wait until after the Derby to post, too.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Definitely a big-boy job.

7. I wouldn't be eager to compete against Brett Dawson or be a member of the always tenuous Gannett family. But otherwise this is a great job in a basketball-crazy state where you're always going to be covering stories of national importance during hoops season (and often, beyond).

8. This is Brett's job, right? Is he leaving?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yep, he posted this today:

As of Monday, I'm joining Rivals.com, where I'll be the publisher at UK beat writer at CatsIllustrated.com.

New Twitter handle, starting Monday: @BDawsonRivals. C-J keeps the @wildcats handle and all his followers, but is letting him plug the new one. Nice move by them.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This job turns over every couple of years, but the person always ends up leaving for a better job.

It's a great gig until Gannett starts sharing content with the Herald-Leader.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You think Gannett and McClatchy will start sharing content? Why?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was being a smartass.

Draft saved Draft deleted