1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky basketball caught cheating ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 30, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

... so the hammer comes down on IUPUI.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/03/30/ncaa-orders-iupui-vacate-wins-sports/

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Re: Kenucky basketball caught cheating ...

Say what you want about the NCAA hammering the little guy. Using ineligible athletes in all 14 sports is a major problem. Few things define "lack of institutional control" quite like violations across an entire athletics department.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Having that stupid name is a major infraction.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

14 sports? That's impressive.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I saw the thread title and wondered why it wasn't just "Sun rose today"

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

IUP waits for the other shoe to drop.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Kenucky?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think it's lack of institutional control - more like institutional competence.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most schools cheat, but it's usually the little schools where they're not smart enough to cover it up and where they end up getting nailed.

It seems like its been a long time since a major program got significant sanctions. The NCAA knows its bad for business to have an Alabama or Kentucky or Florida or Texas face anything more than a slap on the wrist.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Get a hickey from Kenucky.

11. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

The reason why smaller schools with smaller budgets get crushed by the NCAA is because they tend to have small and underfunded compliance departments. So they get nailed for being sloppy. Or they get nailed because coaches aren't being checked as closely as they should.

That's not to say that some big cheating doesn't go on at the big schools. But this type of stuff would never go down at a Big Ten or SEC school because they are paying big bucks to people whose jobs are to make sure it doesn't.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I feel like my alma mater has really grown up as an D-I athletic program. Now it's time to throw hookers and blow into the mix.

It probably doesn't help IUPUI, either, that it's the closest school to NCAA headquarters. The NCAA investigators could take one of the Central Canal paddleboats from HQ to Military Park, bordering the IUPUI campus, in about five minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted