1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kent State: 45 years ago Monday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 3, 2015.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Why would he call them thugs? They were white....

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

One of the murdered students was there on a ROTC scholarship and not taking part in the demonstration. He and one of the women who died just happened to be in the area while going elsewhere on campus.

One of the members of DEVO was a KSU student at the time, and at the demonstrations. I think one of his friends was wounded.

3. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He actually called student protesters (across the country) "bums" in the week or so building up to Kent State.

In fact, the father of one of the four shot, while tearfully discussing his daughter a couple days later, mentioned that she "was not a bum".

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, John Cena once was the Doctor of Thuganomics.

Ric Flair likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I had already put this up in Random Images, but it seems appropriate here.

[​IMG]

britwrit likes this.
  7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

A couple days after the Kent State shootings, Nixon made his famous late night trip to the Lincoln Memorial with a White House employee and talked to protestors.

Seeing Neutral's picture reminds me of a discussion in a photojournalism class in college. The guy who took that picture originally airbrushed out the pole that looks like it's coming out the girls' head.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless I'm misremembering, the girl in the photo was actually a teenage runaway and not a student at the school. Her parents, who had been looking for her, found her through the photo.

I remember looking something up about the photo, and she ended up having a pretty unhappy life, struggling with the memories of that day, and drugs. I found this NY Times story on the 20th anniversary of the shooting, and she said that day had "ruined her life".

Kneeling With Death Haunted a Life - NYTimes.com

Apparently since then, she's come to grips a bit better, and has spoken at the school.

Draft saved Draft deleted