1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kenny Mayne vs. grumpy horse racing writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Jan 17, 2016.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

So, Santa Anita is looking for a new race caller with the retirement of the iconic Trevor Denman (although he will still call races at Del Mar), and brought Kenny Mayne in to call a race today as a promotional stunt.

Race 5 (MSW) at SA on 1/17/16 at Santa Anita Park on Jan 17, 2016 | Race Result | BloodHorse.com

He does a legitimately awful job, including calling the wrong horse as the winner. It was the fifth race on a shit Sunday card and was not a stakes race. No big deal, right? Well, it was to the Daily Racing Form's Brad Free.

This didn't go over with Mayne, who may or may not have been into his cups hours later.

Kenny Mayne on Twitter
    Kenny Mayne on Twitter
    Kenny Mayne on Twitter

I thought it was half funny, half sad.

2. SnarkShark

Kenny is back for more. It's like kicking a sad old dog.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I can rip a guy for missing a tight finish at the wire on his very first race (though that would be right at the top of the job description). Was he being an idiot earlier on the call? Then again, it's a promotional stunt that clearly worked if it got a Twitter fight.

By the way, love the name of the fourth-place horse: "Vodka Texted You"

Kayaugstin Kott likes this.
  4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

For the entire stretch run it's only a two-horse race. I can understand getting the wrong name when there's four horses within a neck, but not when you've only had to concern yourself with two names for the last 30 seconds.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I was invited to call a horse race once. I couldn't, but a co-worker did. He told me he couldn't believe how hard it was...what helped him was the regular guy sat next to him, pointing out which horse was in the lead. Without that, he would have made the same mistake.

It won't please the diehards, but these tracks know what they are getting into when they ask for this kind of promotion.

As for Mayne, I covered the 2000 ALCS between the Yankees and Seattle. One game, he came and sat down right next to me. I didn't want to bother him. He introduced himself, asked who I worked for and was unbelievably friendly. My producer and cameraman came later, he was great to them, too. Didn't have to be. Got a lot of time for that guy.

cranberry likes this.
  6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Without question it is an impossibly hard thing to do. It's one thing to memorize one set of names to jockey silks, but how you put one group out of your mind so you can rememorize a different set every 30 minutes is a rare talent.

7. I see only one tweet from Free, so I'm not sure how much of a twitter fight this was. And maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but I think Free is upset with the track, not with Mayne. Certainly he knows how difficult a task it was for a first-timer. But I can see Brad's side. And anyone who could've potentially torn up a ticket because of the call, probably would be even more upset. Maybe the track should've recorded the call and played it between races for the promotional aspect. Then Mayne could've really had some fun. Anyway, I think he was too sensitive here, but he's also not Steve Harvey, either.

8. SnarkShark

If you ripped up your ticket because of a race call, you deserve to lose.

jimluttrell1963 and MTM like this.
  9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. Hold onto that ticket until the board says "official" and they're paying out the cash

10. SnarkShark

Not a fan of Free's "get off my lawn" hot take, but Mayne's "promote the sport" point isn't much better. Nobody is going to start caring about horse racing because barely-a-celebrity Kenny Mayne called a race.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

SC just aired the feature, which obviously was the goal from the start. He legitimately sucked. And I don't follow horses other than the TC but it immediately registered to me that the other horse won. It was pretty darn close but a guy who claims to know horse racing from a young age should have seen it. In fairness, he said before the race even started, hang on to your tickets til it's official. "Especially in this case." In the end, no biggie. His reaction to the tweet is childish. Acknowledge it/defend it if you must and move on.

jimluttrell1963 likes this.
  12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Very well-put. I think this was an unnecessary pissing match where neither one was in the right.

It's not like the horse racing business is booming to the point where Mayne's appearance is going to hurt it. And it would have been nice for Mayne to be graceful about it and either ignore it, or be classy in acknowledging it and move on.

But Mayne's schtick of always being the smartest, most clever and funniest guy in the room doesn't lend itself to doing that.

Draft saved Draft deleted