1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kenny Mayne on the late Sunday SportsCenter...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

is freaking brilliant. He's constantly taking jabs (similar to the ones often made here) at ESPN. Example, while talking about the Patriots he said "ESPN has learned that the Patriots are 13-0." And then he tossed it to Wendy Nix and said it'd be the last time she'll be on TV this week without using the word Spy Gate.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Worth a chuckle. Wonder if they'll take him to task for this at all.

3. Hopefully they'll take him off Mayne Event and let him riff behind the desk. That's where he's best.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

He also mentioned a Kobe Bryant 3-pointer "from NBA 3-point range." WTF?

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I wound up being seated next to him in the pressbox in Foxboro for a Patriots game a few years back.

He's as goofy in person as he is on TV. Nice guy, but goofy.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I learned from ESPN -- from people who work there -- that Mayne prides himself on the obscure, almost joke, stories, so the network lets him go. I'm a big fan of his sense of humor -- very, very dry and subtle.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

the Mayne Event this morning--a parody of the Sopranos finale based around a Cowboys assistant coach being named Sparano--was hilarious from start to finish.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Kenny Mayne is frickin' brilliant. I got to watch his first SportsCenter and he had me at Yahtzee. I laughed so hard through that show.

Hopefully he doesn't get brainwashed by the corporate, NBA-loving hacks in Bristol. :)

9. BBJones

BBJones Guest

That was an oustanding poke that, based on your 'WTF?' must have sailed comfortably over your head.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Some nights he gets Linda Cohn laughing so hard she's in danger of peeing herself.

11. lono

lono Active Member

As long as she pees on Sean Salisbury and when she's finished throws her hands in the air and yells, "Scoreboard!" well, I'm OK with that.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Too bad there's no baseball for him to explain. I always enjoyed his "I am king...big feast" home run calls.

Draft saved Draft deleted