1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kennedy Assassination: 24 Hours After

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Caught that one the other day (still need to get the 24 hours one), and it was really good. A lot of video I'd never seen.

What struck me was how quickly everything happened. Easy to quibble over various protocols, and whether Jackie should have changed clothes, but it all went down so fast. The time from the shots to the hospital to the Oswald arrest, to the takeoff of AF1 with the body aboard ... it all happened faster than I'd have thought, and certainly faster than you'd think it would happen today.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

If Oswald did act alone from his perch, he is one hell of a shot.

It's possible. I've always wondered if Oswald hit JFK with the first shot in the back but missed with the next two (including the one that blew his head off), would Kennedy have survived?

EDIT: Found my own answer via the Google:

"With no bones struck and the spinal cord intact, the president almost certainly would have survived the wound from the first bullet. Both Carrico and Perry testified to this likelihood (and apropos of the decades-long controversy, both testified that the small, round, clean wound in the front of Kennedy's neck was an exit wound rather than an entry wound).

To Perry, under the questioning of then-assistant counsel - now senator from Pennsylvania - Arlen Specter, the injury was ``tolerable''; the president would have recovered. Because the bullet had passed below the larynx, the wound would not even have impaired his speech later. "

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Have only watched part of it, but enjoyed the part where they quote FDR's first VP as saying "The vice presidency isn't worth a warm bucket of piss."

Must make all those who hold and aspire to that job feel real good.

That's apparently why Johnson was so depressed by Nov. 1963 about his own political fortunes.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At the museum in Dallas they have a full-page ad that ran in the DMN that day just ripping the shit out of JFK. Reading it and looking at the date is beyond creepy.

That museum in Dallas is one of the most interesting museums I've ever been to. The first time I was there, I stayed six hours and could have stayed six more if the people I was with weren't getting really pissed. To be fair, they had left and come back twice... :)

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Here is some information that pretty much confirms that Oswald DID NOT act alone. The shot that hit JFK came from the ground. There may have been a shooter in the grassy knoll but there was a major sewer construction going on in the area. The shooter no doubt had ad an excellent shot from the ground and could get away without being detected.

6. ArnoldBabar

At last, the mystery has been solved. ::)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend of mine in the Air Force said he was at a shooting class/seminar and a military sniper was speaking to the group and someone asked how good a shot someone would have to be to fire off that many shots in that amount of time from a specific distance. He didn't mention JFK or Oswald in the question even though everybody knew what he was talking about.

The sniper said it was impossible to get off that many shots in that amount of time from that distance. The guy who asked the question said, "Do you know what you're saying?" and the guy said, "I'm saying that it's impossible to get that many of shots off in that amount of time and nothing more." and the class laughed.

8. That wraps things up for me.
    Why did the government NOT contact Drip to start with? They could have solved this 45 years ago. Who needed the Warren Commission?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Obviously, you aren't old enough to know this information. Read you history book and call me in the morning.

10. ArnoldBabar

I'm plenty old enough to have read many history books, and I know that thousands of people have spent decades studying this event, and I know that for you to state the "information" that "the shot that hit JFK came from the ground" as fact with no qualification would embarrass even the nuttiest conspiracy nutbag.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Arnold. Are you old enough to remember JFK and the assassination?
    Not trying to be funny but this is old information, nothing that hasn't been talked before.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And Oswald would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for that snooping Drip.

Draft saved Draft deleted