1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kennedy Assassination: 24 Hours After

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Oct 18, 2009.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I've reached the point where Air Force 1 has now taken off. If they wanted to do a good show, you'd think they could at least have a fuzzy video of a 707 or DC-8 taking off, not some rinky-dink little DC-9.

Some editor has to catch that kind of stuff.

2. old_tony

If that audio of the phone call between LBJ and Lady Bird with Rose Kennedy is authentic, wow, that's some piece of history I've never, ever heard. And Mrs. Kennedy was amazingly poised.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That floored me, too. The fact that she greeted him with, "Hello, Mr. President" ... that got me.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

One classy, dignified lady who set the example for the country during four of the darkest days in its history. Just amazing stuff.

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

TMZ would have it first.

6. old_tony

Having watched the whole thing now another thing that really fascinates is the tension between the Kennedy people and the Johnson people. The fact that some of the Kennedy people didn't want Johnson on Air Force 1 for the flight back to Washington is amazing. In a way, it's almost as if they're trying to imply Johnson had something to do with it all.

Another thing I found interesting were all the references to how, as vice president, Johnson's career was totally going nowhere and just about done. I know Johnson was a compromise pick, but, geez, it sounds as though the two couldn't stand each other and their staffs followed suit.

7. sportsguydave

There's quite a bit of truth to that I think. Sounds like there was not a lot of love lost between the two and Johnson was there mainly to bring in the South (and especially Texas). I've read several books that go into this.

From the show, I was especially struck by the paranoia in the Johnson camp that somehow, Bobby was going to find a way to deny LBJ the presidency.

Are we ever going to get closure to this question? You know, the whole "Did Oswald act alone" thing. Or are we doomed to spend the rest of our history wondering about it?

8. old_tony

I think it would have come out by now if there was a conspiracy. The combination of that and the fact that one of the shows a few years back duplicated the "Magic Bullet" makes me believe Oswald did act alone.

And your point about Johnson's paranoia about Bobby Kennedy denying him the presidency also was spot-on. I wonder how he thought Bobby would have been able to do that.

9. sportsguydave

I'd have to agree about Oswald at this point.

I wonder if, in about another 50 years when most everyone with an axe to grind or a buck to make over this is gone, if the Warren Commission report will finally become settled history.

As far as Johnson's paranoia ... heck, who knows. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not plotting against you ... :D But I think the 25th Amendment is pretty clear about the line of succession. I'm not sure what LBJ and his boys were worried about.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I saw this book today in a Barnes and Noble and almost picked it up. I should have.
    Someone PM me or post if this is going to be shown again. Ticked I missed it.

Two things:
    *I always thought the real friction was with RFK and LBJ, not JFK and LBJ.
    *My brother-in-law had duty in Johnson's room after the gall bladder surgery. He tells some stories. LBJ was quite interesting.

11. sportsguydave

Scheduled to be re-run this Saturday at 5 p.m. Eastern, Moddy.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

You can bet that it will be shown Nov. 23 and definitely some time during that week.
    The show was very interesting. Leaves you to think about what really happened. If I'm not mistaken, aren't there supposed to be some papers released next year about the assassination?

Draft saved Draft deleted