1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kennedy Assassination: 24 Hours After

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Oct 18, 2009.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I've seen most of the Kennedy Assassination shows but not this one, which is now on History Channel. It started 14 minutes ago but will be repeated at 1 a.m. eastern, midnight central.

Thus far a lot of recreation video with authentic stills describing the minutes and hours immediately after the shooting.

My impression is it won't get into conspiracy or such discussions. More a nuts and bolts of what went on in the immediate aftermath.

Also includes audio of Lady Bird Johnson and her recollections.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I've seen both episodes so far. I've seen most of the JFK stuff over the years, but it's been interesting to see the news coverage as it happened. Of course, there's been some of the stock footage and such, but I'm seeing much of this for the first time. Very interesting.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I've caught bits and pieces throughout the day. Fascinating stuff for sure.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Just switched it over as well -- Downhill Racer was on TCM, so I had to wait until it was over. Hackman's first coaching job. :)

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So this isn't one of the worst d_b's of all time?

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Oops ... I think I was referring to the wrong show ... thought Tony meant the "JFK: Three Shots That Changed America" thing. I'm watching the 24 hour thing and it's also very good.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Good stuff indeed.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Watching this stuff is enthralling... definitely a different world then.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

This is great behind the scenes stuff that I have never heard.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I'm watching it again.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I saw it and recorded it for viewing later because I wanted to watch the Bears game and the NLCS game.

I'm about a half-hour in now and I find the stuff about how long it took for Johnson to be told Kennedy was dead pretty fascinating. Also the stuff with the priest and the last rites is interesting -- "The soul had not left the body yet." -- and how they fudged the time of death.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Whenever I see a documentary on the Kennedy assassination, I start to think what would happen if he were killed that way in today's world.

It's amazing to think that it took the world over an hour to get confirmation. Nowadays, a celeb dies in his house and it's all over the news in two minutes and confirmation is in before the TOD is announced.

Draft saved Draft deleted