1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Lay's Guilty Verdict Being Overturned??!?!!!?!?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This is simply un-fucking-believable. Common sense dictates you have to smite his family and take away all their "assets" since only a fucking dingbat would think the appeal would ever go through.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/16/AR2006081601355.html

2. pallister

pallister Guest

No problem punishing dead people (and their families) on this site. Carry on.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

For the best for all involved.

Who would you rather see get the money he stole -- the government or the people he defrauded?

They wipe it clean, his wife gets the cash and the busted shareholders go to work with the court, filing civil suits. His wife will likely get to keep a decent amount of money from the life insurance, after she pays attorney fees and the like, and while everybody doesn't necessarily "win," they're a helluva lot better off than if the gov't just took it all.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'll be honest, as long as it's anyone but his family that gets it I'm fine. If it's not going to go back to the people he scammed, then we could use it to help pare down the debt his buddies in DC have racked up.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I didn't buy the conspiracy arguments regarding his death -- but I'm starting to.
    If I were the judge, I wouldn't overturn that verdict unless they rolled his rotting corpse into my courtroom.

6. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

The family has probably been punished enough. But I'm not sure I get the whole "don't speak ill of the dead" thing. It's not as if something unspeakably horrible happened to the guy. He died, and we all will.

Doesn't seem like a natural occurrence should earn a slimeball a free pass. Personally, I think it's instructive to remember assholes for what they are (or were).

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This is fairly old news. When news of his death arrived, there were stories that the guilty verdict would be vacated. Mainly because the accused has a right to go through the entire appeals process.

And whether you like or don't like Ken Lay (I'd say 99 percent don't like him), the law is the law and it's the principles of this country that everyone gets due process. Of course it's not a great ending, but legally, he has to be treated the same way as anyone else who has been found guilty and be able to go through the appeals process.

Draft saved Draft deleted