1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Green to have leg amputated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Jun 15, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I remember interviewing him once in the late 80s/early 90s and he was really a great guy to talk to. God help him. No one should have to deal with this much crap.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Man, that sucks. You could always rely on him for a good story and now it's all tragic stories. Hopefully, this isn't more than he can take. The Champions Tour needs to find a way to let this guy play some events next year on sponsor's exemptions. Who cares if he shoots 80-80-80?

4. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Excellent piece by Bryant Gumbel on Green in latest edition of "Real Sports" about Green's efforts to find his game for another go on the Champions Tour.

Saw it Monday night, and the next day I saw where his youngest son had been found dead.

I'll echo that Green was not your typical golfer during his day. Lots of great stories, including one about how he tried to sneak another family member into Augusta one year in the trunk of his courtesy car because he didn't have enough badges for everyone.

I think it was also discussed in Feinstein's "A Good Walk Spoiled".

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

A 9-wood, TG?

Tell me, what did your husband hit into that hole? ;)

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Amen, Hondo. Especially a good guy like Ken Green.

Heartbreaking, to say the least.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Still nothing on how the son died?

8. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The 911 call indicates it might have been suicide, but no word on how from the DPD or SMU.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/01/911-caller-reported-smu-studen.html

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

That was a slip of the fingers. It was actually a 7-wood (that I later drowned. It looked like the last scene from Deliverance; all you could see sticking out of the water was the top two inches of the shaft.) I've never owned a 9-wood.

Draft saved Draft deleted