1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Green to have leg amputated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Jun 15, 2009.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Wow. This guy has had a lot to deal with over the years and if memory serves me correctly almost commited suicide a couple years back. Hope he makes it through this. That's a lot to deal with in a matter of a few days.

http://www.fanhouse.com/news/golf/ken-green-to-get-amputation/520638?icid=main|main|dl4|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanhouse.com%2Fnews%2Fgolf%2Fken-green-to-get-amputation%2F520638

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn.
    Didn't he used to wear green shoes? Seemed like a different kind of a guy, and I mean that in a good way. Just awful dealing with everything he's dealing with now.

3. TwoGloves

I crossed paths with him a couple times at a Tour event. One year he appeared at media day because they didn't want to bring the defending champ back and he was a hoot. Ripped on both Nicklaus and Norman. He went around hitting a shot with each group and when he got to mine, he watched me smoke a 5-wood about 200 yards to within about 20 feet of the hole. Maybe the best clutch shot I ever hit. Then he stopped up with a 5-iron, knocked it to about 10 feet, looked and me and laughed and then drove off in his cart.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. 17? (you hit a 5-wood on 17?)

5. TwoGloves

Nope. He wasn't stationed at one hole. He was wandering around the course in a cart and he stopped at our group while we were hitting our second shots at 18, if memory serves me correctly. That said, I did hit a 9-wood to 19 3/4 inches on 17 one year to win the use of a car for a week. Put 1,100 miles on that sucker during a golf trip since they let me keep it for 11 days.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9-wood?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

so this brings to mind the question what would you do try and keep your leg and deal with 2- 3 years worth of surgeries or get artificial limb and be back on golf course within 6-8 months,

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Green shoes and at least on occasion a green golf glove.

IIRC, he wasn't exactly bland with quotes and points of view, at least compared to much of the rest of the Tour.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Didn't he also use a really short putter at times?

10. TwoGloves

He was a great quote. And his good-looking sister caddied for him back in the mid-80s.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I remember one story about him throwing his putter to his caddy and it almost hitting Payne Stewart. So Stewart went off on "decorum" and it led to a series of stories around the golf scene about decorum and whether Green's actions were good for the game.
    One of the stories said something like, "Leave it to a guy named Green to spark a debate about color on the PGA Tour."

Yes, Sock, he did use a mini-putter for a while. I believe it was one of his kids' putters or a nephew or something.

12. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted