1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Dryden's jersey retired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Here are the numbers the Leafs have "honoured." All should instead be retired. I mean, the frigging St. Louis Blues have retired NINE numbers despite doing almost nothing of note since making the final for the last time in 1970.

1 - Johnny Bower and Turk Broda
    4 - Red Kelly and Hap Day
    7 - King Clancy and Tim Horton
    9 - Charlie Conacher and Ted Kennedy
    10 - Syl Apps and George Armstrong
    21 - Borje Salming
    27 - Frank Mahovlich and Darryl Sittler

Add to that list:

7 - Lanny McDonald
    9 - Dick Duff and Norm Ullman
    10 - Joe Primeau
    11 - Harvey "Busher" Jackson
    14 - Dave Keon
    19 - Paul Henderson
    21 - Bobby Baun
    26 - Allan Stanley
    30 - Terry Sawchuk
    93 - Doug Gilmour

He won two Stanley Cups?

That would be more than what Sawchuk, who won Games 5 and 6 against the Habs in '67, did as a Leaf.

2. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Keon doesn't want the honour. Baun and Stanley would be dubious additions. Henderson was more famed for his Team Canada 72 exploits and Gilmour had four or five good seasons as a Leaf, but never got them past the semis. Leafs haven't won a Cup in 40 years remember. Why salute mediocrity?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I agree with Huntsie. Some of your additions, Double J, dilute the honour.

Mike Pelyk? :)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

HE won two cups or the Leafs won two cups....
    As a Wing, yes; as a Leaf, not so much

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Did they retire his letter for that? :)

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

What I meant was, if Palmateer won two Cups for the Leafs then that would be more than what Sawchuk did, since Terry won one Cup for them.

Since Palmateer didn't actually win jack, well.....

If you include Norm Ullman, you gotta include Doug Gilmour. Very similar goal and point totals. Sure, Gilmour didn't get them past the semis, but the Leafs never even made it to the semis with Ullman. Gilmour was also the team's undisputed heart and soul; you couldn't make that claim for Ullman, as good a player as he was.

As for Allan Stanley, sure, he wasn't fast and he wasn't flashy but he was absolutely one of Toronto's steadiest pillars on defence for 10 years. He was still a top four defenceman, at worst, at age 41 when the Leafs won their last Cup in 1967.

In fact, after the Habs pulled Gump Worsley in the last minute of the sixth and final game and there was a faceoff to the left of Sawchuk, Punch Imlach had Stanley take the draw against Jean Beliveau. About five seconds later, the puck was in the Montreal net and the icing was on the cake. Nothing mediocre about Allan Stanley at all, which is why he's deservedly in the Hall of Fame. If you're going to put Borje Salming's number up in the rafters, there's no reason why Stanley shouldn't have the same honour.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, Double J, you're scary.

Askng you who scored the empty netter in the '67 Cup winning game by the Leafs would be an insult. :)

8. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Stanley played for five of the original six teams ( I looked it up). He had a long career but it wasn't particularly distinguished. He was every bit as solid as a Ranger and a Bruin as he was as a Leaf.
    Salming, on the other hand, was the first significant Swede of his generation. There was culture shock to deal with, all the testing he had to endure to dismiss the image of the "Chicken Swedes" -- this as the Broad Street Bullies were coming into prominence remember -- and still he was one of the top five defencemen in the league through the majority of his career.
    But, since the Leafs don't retire numbers anyway, it's a moot point.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

George Armstrong. Jim Pappin had the goal to make the score 2-1, the Cup winner. Ron Ellis got Toronto's first goal. :)

To be honest, I cheated. One of my favourite hockey books is "The Last Hurrah" by Stephen Cole. It's a brilliant recap of the 1966-67 season, with quotes of the time interspersed with new interviews by Cole. He was the last person to interview Habs/Nordiques great J.C. Tremblay before his death, and it was specifically for this book. Marvellous stuff.

That said, I have memorized most of the final game details, so I didn't actually have to look it up about Allan Stanley. ;)

10. I'm in my second day of being pissed about this.
    Be aware.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey, he beat the unbeatable Islanders and damn near beat the Canadiens... what more do you want?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In the list of great Leafs goalies, Palmateer is pretty much down the list:

Cujo, Belfour, and Potvin, just to name three.

Draft saved Draft deleted