1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Burns Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I knew it was around there. But regardless, it will not be touched.

2. Nope.
    People have gotten close.
    511 career wins is the alltimer.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think Wilson's could fall with the perfect lineup.

If (all in their prime of course) Ricky Henderson leadsoff with Jeter #2 and ARod #3 and Ortiz protecting Arod, it could be done. It would be a perfect storm of offense, though.

4. Not so fast my friend!

Of the "unbreakable" group (Wilson's RBI, UCLA's hoops championship streak, Oklahoma's college win streak?, Nolan Ryan's career no-hitters, Cy's win total, etc., etc.), I think the 56-game streak is the one most likely to fall.

I've been around long enough to learn that if something can be done once it CAN be repeated and bested.

5. Wasn't Manny on pace to get Hack's record that year when they cancelled the season?

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

As was Juan Gonzalez a year before I think. Gonzalez didn't have that great of a line-up the year he was lighting up the score sheets. Was Manny on the Indians at the time of the cancellation?

Edit: Come to think of it, I believe both Manny and Juan Gone were on the Indians when they were driving in those runs.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

No one will ever hit 715 756 home runs

No one will ever hit 62 home runs in a season.

The 56 game hit streak could definitely be broken. And the 191 RBI's will be topped somewhere down the road.

I'm with the sage FB; the most 'out there' number that won't be had is Cy's 511 wins.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Something needs to be understood when it comes to those home run records. They are a single player achievement. In order for a player to have 192 RBIs, he needs to have people on base to drive in. While it's a single player achievement like the home runs, it is more team oriented. Unless someone is going to hit 192 solo shots, a line-up needs to be formulated around him. Bonds doesn't really have a line-up in San Francisco, so it doesn't matter. If the batter doesn't have protection, or the run scorers ahead of him, he's not going to drive people in.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nope.

Least likely record to fall is Ripken's consecutive games played.

I don't think 511 wins will fall, either, but the distance between whatever the current consecutive games played streak is at and Ripken's number is sure to be HUGE.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It saved Juan Gone the trouble of getting injured once the temperature dropped.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Another one: Nolan Ryan's career strikeout mark of 5,714. Clemens would need to strike out 200 a season for thee next eight years to get close to it. And didn't Cy Young have like nearly 800 complete games? That could be even more unbreakable than his victories total.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Any old time pitching record is not going to be touched because pitchers do not throw that many games or innings any longer. The emergence of the middle reliever and set up man killed any chance for those records to be broken.

Draft saved Draft deleted