1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Burns Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The first time I watched it was a straight-thru 20-hour marathon with a former colleague. One of the best experiences of my life.

I bought the series on DVD last year and finally am watching it again. Wonderful piece of art, as good as anything I've ever seen.

So, I'm on the 1940s-1950s disc. 1941 ... wow! DiMaggio's 56-game hit streak AND Williams' .406 average ... not to mention the year my dad was born :D

Anyway, got me thinking: Which was more impressive in and of itself: 56-game streak or .406 for the season? Williams had to go 6 for 8 in a doubleheader on the final day of the season to eclipse .400. He was at .39955 after a minor slump in the final week, before the great final day.

Been thinking about it all night, which stat is more impressive.

What say you?

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm going to say DiMaggio's, just because others had hit .400 before Williams, but no one has ever matched 56 in a row, or really come close.

My folks gave me the entire videotape of Baseball for a college graduation gift. Great gift, if a pain to pack when it comes time to move.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Read Montville's bio on the Splinter.

Joe's is more impressive because he was swinging at more pitches. Plus, they won the pennant and he won the MVP.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

56 games may be the one unbreakable record in any sport.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

After going hitless in Game 57, DiMag in the next 17, I believe ... making it 73 of 74 games!

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Had DiMaggio gotten a hit in No. 57, the Heinz 57 company would've paid him $10,000; they were trailing him at that point in the streak.

And yeah, 73 of 74 games. That never will happen again.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

All those RECORDS don't mean CRAP since they didn't play against black players! [sportsbruh]

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That 680 innings pitched in a season by Will White in 1879 looks pretty safe...

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

and of course in 1933 he had a 61 game streak in the minors, though fell short of the record of 69 set by Joe Wilhoit in 1919.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Charley Radbourn's 59 wins in a season, 1884, looks safe as well...

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

56 games. Only several players have came within 10-15 games of the record. DiMaggio's record and Hack Wilson's RBI record of 190 will NEVER be touched.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wilson had 191 RBIs in 1930, actually.

Draft saved Draft deleted