1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Burns' Baseball goes into extra innings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 7, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090108/ap_en_ot/tv_pbs_baseball_1
    <blockquote>LOS ANGELES – Filmmaker Ken Burns is adding a tenth inning to his nine-part "Baseball" documentary series that aired in the '90s on public television.

PBS said Wednesday that the new film, titled "The Tenth Inning," will air in spring 2010, along with a rebroadcast of the original nine-part "Baseball" documentary series that debuted in 1994. Meanwhile, the series is running Tuesday nights on the new MLB Network.

The new film will track baseball history from 1993 through 2008, beginning where the original series ended, and feature interviews with Felipe Alou, Joe Torre and other baseball figures.</blockquote>
    Should be interesting. Wonder how he'll look at the steroids era?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, it's funny. I haven't seen any part of the original "Baseball" doc since it aired in 1994. I think my parents taped the first three innings on the VCR before we ran out of blank tapes, but I dunno what ever happened to it.

A lot of SABR people have blasted "Baseball" for its historical inaccuracies (and there are many), so I'll be interested in rewatching it without the filter of a 12-year-old boy, like I was back then.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You're not 12? I feel wronged.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

Part 1 was on MLB Network last night. :D

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Shh. It's my dirty little secret.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fuck Cox.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

http://www.directv.com

:)

(Although Cox in your area has MLB Network on channel 130, I think.)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've been watching it the last few nights.... or trying. I put it in the DVD player as white noise because nothing makes me sleep more than Burns/Amex. Not ripping it, just does.
    I can see him doing that tho. Remember, he did the same thing with New York.
    A five-part series had two later parts, then an eighth devoted to the WTC....
    Sign me up...if I can stay awake.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is he going to have a perspective beyond the tri-state area this time?

I swear to God, his original series mentioned Hank Aaron in the context of the 50s and 60, like, twice. I was very disappointed with the original.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wait, wait, wait, wait...

You guys did not like the first nine innings? Jesus.

When the Civil War came out, what he did with the pictures was ground breaking. Beautiful film making.

These clips are hard as shit to find.

http://redsox.fandome.com/video/41315/Ted-Williams-says-goodbye-to-baseball/

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Come on, Massachusetts is out of the tri-state area....

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

homophobe

Draft saved Draft deleted