1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Burger retiring

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sctvman, Jul 21, 2011.

1. sctvman

sctvman New Member

Ken Burger, the esteemed columnist at the Post and Courier in Charleston, SC is retiring to focus on traveling and his book business. He has been a P&C writer since 1984, back when it was a two-newspaper town. Before that, he worked 10 years in Columbia.

Here is more info. His final article is Sunday in the P&C print edition.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/jul/21/award-winning-columnist-burger-to-retire/

2. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

One word describes Ken Burger: awesome. Awesome guy, awesome writer. One of the first people I called when my son was born.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We've vacationed in Charleston a lot, but not in a few years and so I was not aware he had stopped writing a sports column. I always thought he and Sapakoff were an impressive columnist duo for a paper that size, at least from what I saw as a visitor.

4. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

Ken is such a nice man, someone whose talent always seemed much larger than his ego.

5. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

One of the best guys in the business in every respect.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

And Sapakoff is, too. Quite a duo.

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

My dealings with Ken have always been far too brief and far too infrequent but his talent is overshadowed only by his grace and good humor.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No question. Was a real treat to visit and read them both, especially during football season.

9. accguy

accguy Member

My favorite Burger story is that he once wrote:

"I love women. I love basketball. I hate women's basketball."

10. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

A toast to a career well-done.

A toast to a new career growing better.

A toast to Ken!

[​IMG]

A Toast to a damn-fine man whose writing and reporting is only superseded by his culinary advice. (Then again, it's hard to find a bad restaurant in Charleston.)

First time I met him, he sent me to Magnolia's. The next time we met up for a basketball game he told me to go to 86 Queen. Next was High Cotton, then SNOB, then another place near The Citadel, then the Library, Battery, a seedy joint in Mt. Pleasant with red lights all around..... I can't remember them all!

I'm thankful to know Ken's cleverness and kindness.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You got that right. Is Poogan's Porch still open?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great dude. We got to know each other during a bit of an odd time in my life and he gave great counsel, even though he hardly knew me. Hell of a writer, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted