1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Anderson: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree with this. I think if you look at what happened to the Bears and Colts last year after their QBs got injured, it's hard to make an argument that the QB "is just" one of 11 players on the field. Having a top QB makes a huge difference... However, there are plenty of instances when a top QB isn't enough to get a team to the playoffs and there are also incidents where teams are so good that it doesn't matter how bad the QB is, but that doesn't happen too often.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

As a guy born in 1970, I have a question. I've heard how good Namath, Brodie and Stabler were (and Stabler is the one I remember most, although I was pretty young).

Is it possible that some of today's best QBs would have similarly poor TD/INT ratios because of how much more defensive players could get away with back then? You watch the old videos and the muggings on receivers would get guys put in jail now.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any real doubt their numbers would be worse. But still not as bad as Namath's.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's all well and good, but it sure as hell doesn't make QB W-L some sort of definitive statistic. It isn't.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as a "definitive" statistic.

Tell me what "definitive" statistic you look at to tell you how good a quarterback is.

W-L is a part of the picture.

Draft saved Draft deleted