1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Anderson: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Sep 22, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's the one I would have looked at along with the Oilers. The Oilers would have been better with an inanimate carbon rod at QB.

Although, I do think Stabler was a great fit for that team.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Absolutely.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily saying he should be in. He's certainly a borderline guy, especially after 30 years. I was just mentioning him as a member of the "best that aren't in" list. He's got good enough numbers (about 28,000 yards and almost 200 touchdowns), largely in an era that wasn't friendly to big passing stats, plus a Super Bowl ring and some playoff success.
    If you say his Raiders teams should have won more, keep in mind he was battling two of the greatest dynasties in NFL history (early-70s Miami and then the Steelers) for most of his prime.

3. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Stabler had 27 interceptions one year and 26 in another. Try to find another HOFer with that kind of stain.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How do you think those teams would have done if they traded defenses with the Steelers?

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He's not one yet, but will be -- Brett Favre had 20 or more interceptions six times. Four of them when he was in his prime (2003 and before). Marino did it four times. Stabler did it five times.
    Granted, Favre and Marino both more than doubled Stabler in touchdowns and yards, but that's two first-ballot Hall of Famers who weren't immune to being picked.

7. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

If I recall, Dr. Z more than hinted that Stabler was involved in throwing games or shaving points.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Brett Favre had seasons with 29, 24, 23 (twice) and 22 interceptions. He also has the most interceptions in NFL history.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Stabler is probably on the list of top five quarterbacks from the Super Bowl Era who aren't in...

My guess is it would be Anderson, Simms, Randall Cunningham, Stabler, Esiason... I've seen a columnist try to make a case for John Hadl. They started before the Super Bowl Era, but John Brodie and Roman Gabriel have been mentioned as well. Then there's Theismann, Plunkett...

I'm not saying any of them should be in, but if I could only vote for one, it would be Anderson.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Why I remember this Anderson moment, I don't know other than being an Oilers fan:

Anderson drops back to pass, Curley Culp and Elvin Bethea rush from either side. Just as Culp and Bethea are about to meet at Anderson, he steps up in the pocket and the two Oilers have a series head-on collision. Mind you, Bethea and Culp, Curley especially, were big men. IIRC, Bethea was either carted or assisted of the field.

Might have been a playoff game.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can we change stadiums and uniform colors as well? What about weather? How about what they eat for pregame meals? I think the Bengals had a dominant trainer.

Minnesota had a dominant defense. How many Super Bowls did they win? It rhymes with nero.

You can discredit anything by changing the circumstances.

I think Felix Hernandez would be less of a pitcher if the games he pitched were not glorified exhibitions after the first of June. Easy to pitch when you are last in the standings. See how easy that is?

But most sane people do not do this. What happened is what happened. Going back in time and playing "what if" gets old very fast for most people.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Oakland and Minnesota. Maybe.

Draft saved Draft deleted