1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kelly Kulick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jan 25, 2010.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I realize this doesn't get a lot of love here, but for those of us who watch bowling, Kelly Kulick's victory in the Tournament of Champions today was pretty impressive.

She's the first woman to win a PBA Tour event, and to have it be in a major is a great accomplishment too.

I know this won't be the one thing that gets the PBA Tour back to popularity of the Saturday afternoons with Chris Schenkel and Bo Burton, but it is still good nonetheless.

Edit to show link:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4854377

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not a sport.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

...has never been in my kitchen.

Anyhoo, congrats to her.

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

If it's on ESPN, it's a sport ... :D

5. dooley_womack1

^^^^Pushing for a banning.^^^^

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Nice little fun activity. Lot of old ladies still bowl. My 75-year-old mother does it twice a week. Could probably beat me, if I bowled. Doesn't make it a sport.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

My 72 year old cousin plays golf at least 3 days a week from April thorugh October. Guess that isn't a sport, either.

8. dooley_womack1

Hondo, do you even know what you're talking about? At the top of the sport, bowlers have to compete in numerous games a day over several days. Don't think that takes a good deal of stamina, all the while replicating a motion, adjusting it slightly for the way a lane is oiled. And they practice as much as golfers do.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

The point of this was not to start a sport-not-a-sport discussion. Sport is a competition; whether you think bowling or chess or football is/is not a sport is up to you. Let's leave it at that.

It's impressive to me that with all this publicity about Michelle Wie, Annika Sorenstam or Suzy Whaley, Kulick qualified for the two seed just like everyone else and won the damn thing. She deserves the publicity.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Definitely a sport. And kudos to Kulick.

I usually watch the PBA telecast even when there's an NFL noon game. At least I switch back and forth. However, today I chose to do some grocery shopping after church and missed the telecast. "No problem," I thought, because ESPN2 usually reruns the telecast Sunday night at some point.

However, ESPN2 is running hours and hours of Australian Open coverage. And according to my programming guide, there is no scheduled re-running of the telecast -- at least in the next two weeks.

11. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

ESPN Classic has it at 9 p.m. on Monday night.

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

This was just on Sportscenter. That makes it official. Bowling = Sport.

Seriously, congrats to Kelly. Quite an accomplishment.

Draft saved Draft deleted