1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kelly Dwyer done at SI.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kettner, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kettner

Kettner New Member

Straight from the source himself.

He filled in for Henry Abbot with a TrueHoop article at ESPN this week (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-26-55/Monday-Zephyrs.html) and has told me that he's done at SI.com due to their inability to pay him a reasonable rate for his work.

Thoughts?

2. gospringboks

gospringboks Member

Is he Bill Dwyer's kid?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That would be Bill Dwyre. So no.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Actually it's Bil Dwyer, since I'm assuming he's talking about the comedian.

And I'm guessing not, though I don't know.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

I feel like SI can't afford to lose much more talent. I know Kelly was .com, but that whole place is getting thin.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was assuming he was talking about the former longtime sports editor of the L.A. Times and now columnist there.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

8. TX Writer

TX Writer Member

I never really thought Dwyer was anything special. Just my opinion. And he seemed to pay too much attention to the Rockets, and giving Rockets officials high rankings (such as Daryl Morey as GM though Morey hasn't accomplished half of what many have), and all this because he was a regular member on some Rockets message board. Maybe I'm thinking too much into this, but it was too coincidental.

9. I like all of Dwyer's work, but he's a standout blogger - when he's filled in for Abbott (twice?), he's been prolific, hilarious, and obsessively knowledgeable.

He deserves to be an NBA columnist at some paper, and regardless of what he does, I hope he finds good-paying work somewhere...but I also hope he starts a blog of his own.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I know, and I got that. But missing one 'l' off the name I suggested is more likely than completely blowing the last name of a high-ranking journalist whose name appears in Football Bat's sig.

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

yeah, this will be fatal to SI

look what they lose:
    1) five top reasons cavs will win
    2) ranking the playoff coaches
    3) 10 reasons to dribble with your left hand
    4) 13 top rebounders in the fourth quarter
    5) five sleeper pre-season picks

brilliant!

i'll never look at si.com again

12. Simon_Cowbell