1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kelli Anderson's 3-pointer piece in SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

While reading a run-of-the-mill analysis piece on the tournament, I couldn't help but notice the people writer Kelli Anderson had quoted:

* Arizona assistant Archie Miller
    * Ohio State assistant Jeff Boals
    * Kansas director of basketball operations Barry Hinson
    * Wisconsin assistant Greg Gard

Mark Few and Josh Pastner are quoted, as well, seemingly from press conference settings.

I have no problem with a reporter breaking away from the pack, but this was about as conspicuous an attempt to do so as I've seen. For most of the assistants, there is no particular expertise noted. They are just quoted in the course of the piece. Thoughts?

2. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

I like it. It's different in that she's not going to the usual mouthpieces, and that shows creativity to me.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Thanks for stopping by, Kelli.

4. She may have chosen Miller because of his 3-point prowess. From a Tuscon Citizen story from 2009...

"Archie Miller played basketball at North Carolina State, where he ranks second in school history in career 3-pointers (218) and free-throw percentage (.846)."

Couldn't find any other particular reason for anyone else. I haven't read the story, but would a head coach have provided a better or more insightful quote?

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with it.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Not gonna lie, I always thought Kelli was a guy. Thought I had read it somewhere, or seen a photo with the byline. Obviously I was wrong. My apologies to Ms. Anderson.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed. But since it didn't quote anyone from Michigan, Mustang just wants to poke...

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with it, but it's definitely a consciously undertaken out-of-the-mainstream approach to information-gathering for a piece like this. I'm curious about how she chose her interview subjects, for example. I mean, how do you decide, "Hey, I need to track down the director of basketball operations at Kansas."

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Write her and ask her.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Maybe she just happened to be at Kansas for another story or any other reason and found herself chatting with the guy or a group of guys that included him? Who knows? Stories sometimes happen on the run. They're not all done sitting at a desk debating which coaches to call.

You are familiar with how journalism works, right?

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Wait a second, here. You mean journalists travel for one story, and report and bring back another?
    So, two stories? One trip?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Heresy! Let's not forget that she may have interviewed 15 head coaches for this story and just chose not to use any of their quotes.

Draft saved Draft deleted