1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keith Olbermann returning to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Seats at Open were half empty due to constant rain delays yesterday. There's no place for tennis fans to get out of the rain except the 7 train back home.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You may could have said that . . . in the early 90s . . . about Wimbledon . . . before the balls and courts everywhere were slowed.

Now? Not really. Shotmaking is out of this world.

A spectacular point made even more so in that it came on match point to end a 5-hour match.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm with BTE. It HAS become a very baseline to baseline game, and if that's not your thing I can see how you'd be bored.

I also think it's become PEDish.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's also taken some of the pleasure out of watching tennis.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

At least one person in this room could care less that football is starting because baseball is still going on. ;)

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I said a few days ago that I had enjoyed the first two episodes of Olbermann.

Here is a 7:44 clip of a commentary from last night that is vintage Keith Olbermann. There are not very many people who would have taken this position on the air or who could have delivered it nearly as well.

.be

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Typical Olberman. No different than his other shows. No dissenting opinion and anecdotal evidence. The players in his "video evidence" had lots of other issues. How do we know Mike Webster was a victim of concussions and not steroids?

Until Olberman rips ESPN for pulling out of the Frontline documentary, his concussion opinion is worthless.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Thought that was tremendous. And Pancamo ... "anecdotal evidence"? Really? The majority of those players were confirmed to have CTE, but Webster was gone before they really started studying that. I think it's more than coincidental what happened to all of those guys.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Let me suppose for a moment that Keith Olbermann delivered an 8-minute diatribe scathing ESPN for pulling out of the concussion story on Frontline. However, he did this in what you call his typical fashion - there was no dissenting opinion and only evidence of the type used here that you call anectodal.

Question: Would such a comment be a good one - because you happen to agree with the argument - or would it just be another "typical Olbermann" segment that is worthless?

For the record, I do not know Keith Olbermann. From what I have read and heard, he is not a warm and magnanimous person and I certainly did not agree with most of his political positions as presented on his previous programs. Nonetheless, that segment was powerful, direct and to the point. I suspect that the writer cited in the piece will not respond...

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Feel exactly the same way, and my first couple of viewings of his new show, I thought he came across as his typical pompous self. But this was very well done. And then there is this, on the Giants' Doug Kotar the previous night:

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I really want to give his show a chance, but that's the same kind of sanctimony that just drives me away.

As others have noted, so many of the examples are nothing more than anecdotal. I mean, geez, some people are attracted to a violent game because they like the violence. The game didn't make them violent. They were violent before and they were violent after.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A pretty solid first week. At some point though, he's going to have to call out his own network though. You can't just pick on local writers or people at competing networks when you live in a glass house.

Draft saved Draft deleted