1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keith Olberman is a Big Douche

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 13, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Andy Cooper is - with no qualifications - a "douchebag of the highest order." No doubt.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Give one of these to Olberman and Cooper:

[​IMG]

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

While Cooper has perfected "Look at ME!!!" journalism, I find that Olbermann's biggest fans (defenders?) are almost without fail those who agree with his political opinions. Those who are ecstatic to have a well-spoken anchor rip into President Bush, regardless of the fact his rants and self-importance (LOVED when he pulled out "Good night and good luck" at the end of one of his shows) didn't really get going until everyone else already had started to pick at that carcass.

Then they try to sell that he is a forerunner, rather than a follower of the most shameless order. In that way, he is like a standard politician: he sees which way the wind is blowing, and decides to set his sail that way, pushing to the front of the line while proclaiming that it was all his idea.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Piotr - Olberman is nothing if not a finger-in-the-wind guy. No doubt.

5. And we know that by his wild support of the Bush administration prior to...
    Well, prior to when?

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Good counterargument, FB.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Excuse me, but I never said Olbermann expressed "wild support of the Bush administration." Do NOT try to put words in my mouth, please. The man started bitching loudly AFTER Bush-hating was the accepted discourse of the day. He jumped in the fray only after it was clear he wouldn't be saying anything too different from what everyone else was already saying.

I do not dispute his facts, nor the quality of his broadcast. I am highly amused by his biggest fans: the hardcore anti-Bush people who insist that Olbermann was at the forefront of ripping the president and the war. Nope. He hasn't even been doing it for a year at this point.

The Dixie Chicks were putting themselves out there long before he was.

http://www.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=MSNBC's+Keith+Olbermann+Finds+His+Niche+as+a+Bush-Bashing+Hero+for+Lefties+--+New+York+Magazine&expire=&urlID=21868680&fb=Y&url=http://nymag.com/news/features/30338/&partnerID=73272

"Olbermann says he doesn’t vote, and he insists his Bush bashing isn’t ideological. “Look, I didn’t begin this show in 2003 with ‘This is a damn-fool war,’ ” says Olbermann. “We in the media were guilty of assuming our government wouldn’t lie to get us into war. We were largely exploited because we gave them the benefit of the doubt after 9/11. They couldn’t have choreographed it any better if they tried. What angers me is their certainty. The closer you get to something, the less certain you should be of your position. That doesn’t happen with these people. The number of opportunities and chances to redirect this that have been missed is tragic.”

And earlier in the same story, some more background:

"Olbermann has been hosting Countdown since March 2003, the month the U.S. invaded Iraq, and the show has grown progressively anti-Bush as the situation there has deteriorated. But it wasn’t until last August—when Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was implying that those in favor of staying the course in Iraq were Churchillian while those opposed were modern-day Neville Chamberlains—that Countdown began to click.

“I was sitting on the tarmac in L.A.,” recalls Olbermann over lunch at the Meridien Hotel. “I’d exhausted all conversations with James Gandolfini, who was on the flight. And I thought, ‘Where is the outrage? Where are the constitutional- scholar conservatives coming out and going, “This guy is a danger to the democracy. Not to the Democrats or Republicans but to the democracy.” Where is that person?’ ”

Olbermann pauses. “Then I thought, ‘Oh, yeah, I have a newscast, don’t I? I have editorial latitude, don’t I? Well, I guess it’s my turn. Let me strap the jetpack on.’ ”

The next night, Olbermann delivered a six-minute jeremiad against Rumsfeld. It began with the lines, “The man who sees absolutes where all other men see nuances and shades of meaning is either a prophet or a quack. Donald H. Rumsfeld is not a prophet.” Olbermann’s outrage read real, not focus-group manufactured like much of cable punditry. Even a Bush acolyte had to admire Olbermann’s eloquence.

Suddenly, Olbermann was a player in the war debate."

And RokSki:

Come on, open your eyes. When he throws out the protein shakes stuff, that's his usual "Go have paste, Yawn!" insult.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It's ok, Piotr. So what if it is. My dignity is intact, even if that's the case.

FB and I get along well. :)

9. Piotr Rasputin

Fair enough. I guess it is a waste to truly care about some insults thrown around on an Internet message board.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Man, if I cared about that, you know I would have been gone a long time ago. I'm sure the same's true for you.

There are things - words - I care about, but a 'protein shake' pat on the head, if that's what it is (and I'm not saying it is), no biggy to me. :)

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

[​IMG]
    Uber-douche

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted